How did you find us?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first batch was a true brew American pale ale kit. My second was a ninkasi Total Domination clone I found here. After that I've come here with questions and left with answers weekly.

Here goes:

I first bought a TruBrew kit in Ithaca NY with my father-in-law as we were checking out the Finger Lakes, little towns (like horse head), and some of the wineries. I am not a big wine person but I LOVE beer. Therefore, we bought a home brew equipment kit to get started at the Ithaca Brewing Co. That was two years ago.

From there we made plenty of Brewers Best Kits with descent success and continued to learn (boy have we come a long way). Here in Mentor, Ohio there is a wonderful little home brew store called "The Brew Mentor." I went in to check it out and the wonderful guys in store turned me on to HBT.com. I could not be happier to be here with all of you!

I thank all of you every day!! =)

Shout out to everyone over at The Brew Mentor and the Little Mountain Home Brew Club!

I finally decided to start brewing again...after a 35-year break. In those days it never occurred to me that there might be a resource or two out there, so with a head full of word-of-mouth, I set out to make my very own beer.

There was no internet back then, and there were also no craft brews, so my only guide was what I drank at the time, which was Ballantine India Pale Ale, to which I was introduced by my best friend's father. Occasionally I'd come across an old timer that brewed his own, and those ranged from sublime to stinko; I was too shy and/or ignorant to actually ASK for anyone's private recipe.

As a result of my own social backwardness, most of the stuff I made either tasted like toxic waste :confused: or exploded in 48-gun salutes :eek:, usually during the night. But meanwhile, after years of Ballantine, PBR longnecks, and Piels Big-Mouths, a random microbrew popped up, and I rejoiced. After spending a year or so addicted to Pete's Wicked Ale, the selection grew larger and as a result, so did I.

One night last early summer, as I sat in the back-yard grass with my wife, expounding on the better qualities of the Smutty I was savoring, she asked me why didn't I brew my own beer. The memory of sewer water I had previously produced reappeared, and I dismissed the idea. But also that summer, the nephew of the aforementioned best friend brewed up a batch of IPA that I was lucky enough to sample, and it was as perfect as any I'd ever tasted.

At that point I decided that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to begin brewing again. My birthday arrived and my wife surprised me with a 5 gallon kit for IPA. In December I geared up again...I hadn't seen an hydrometer in all those years...man, was I excited! The route toward homebrew reappeared, but this time without all the missing streetsigns, and I produced the first batch since 1974, confident of it's supreme quality.

When I popped my first cap in earlier this month, reality struck, and I was drinking a rich beer with a Budweisery aftertaste. My heart sank. But I'm determined to get there! After some research, I determined that the malt extract had sat around too long. And maybe I needed to let it bottle-cure for a couple of months.

I started a shopping list for a new batch, and went on line to look for ideas and resources...and I fortunately ended up here.

You asked!

Google. Pretty much everything I have ever searched relating to home brewing has HBT at the top.

A buddy and I started brewing our own beers about 2 months ago. We finished our first brew, a 5 variety hop Ipa, and wanted to get ideas for a second batch. We both decided that a blonde ale would be good and wanted to had some pizazz to it. I googled blueberry blonde ale recipes and vola, your website popped up. So here we are

Over the last 2 months I've brewed my first batches based on some guidance from a knowledgeable coworker. As with most everything I do, I needed more "input." Started with Palmer's How To Brew.. and a few other books.. Then started fishing around on the internet.

Like many others seems like the threads I found myself reading, more often than not, were from HBT. Figured I might as well join so that maybe somewhere down the line I can make a contribution or two of my own.

Cheers! :mug:

Over the last 2 months I've brewed my first batches based on some guidance from a knowledgeable coworker. As with most everything I do, I needed more "input." Started with Palmer's How To Brew.. and a few other books.. Then started fishing around on the internet.

Like many others seems like the threads I found myself reading, more often than not, were from HBT. Figured I might as well join so that maybe somewhere down the line I can make a contribution or two of my own.

Cheers! :mug:

CAustin stole my answer!

the idea of brewing my own beer happened to spark in my head so i searched for some equipment and came across this site. been reading it for a few months now but i just recently joined

This is the first forum I actually became a member to, and I think I am officially addicted.

My cousin brews in Hilo, HI all the time and I've just been waiting for the right time to get into this hobby/way-of-life. He turned me on to this site and I am infinitely grateful he did. All my newbie answers have been answered thus far.

Thanks to all that post and all your info.

I was gooogling how to culture yeast from your fav beer and your site poped up , had a ton of good info for somone likre myself that is new and hooked on brewing

Just lookin for information on home brewing on the internet, and I happened to come across a gold mine full of like-minded people. Let the shenanigans commence.

My LHBS is called "Beer Wine Hobby", and somehow in my drunken stumbling through google in an attempt to find/remember the name of the place, a link to this site popped up.

:D

Google. And every time I search Google for a topic that I haven't searched for here first it brings me back to this forum.

Google. You're search presence on Google is very good. It's hard not to find a forum topic when searching for home brewing questions.

Back