How cold is too cold for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
I have 2 kits being shipped from Northern Brewer (missed the 15% off sale by 2 days!) while I'm out of town on vacation. They may be outside at below freezing temperatures (mid-teens or single digits) for up to 6 hours before the house-sitter has a chance to bring them inside. Will the Wyeast packs be ok during that time or should I have my brew partner intercept the package?

Thanks, that was what I was leaning towards. I'm in Hawaii so I've been trying to block out the frigid Alaskan temperatures!

Well I was unable to arrange for the intercept due to my brewing partner being sick, but it looks like the package was only outside for about 2 hours at about 19 degrees, so I'm expecting little if any damage. Guess I'll know more when I prep the starter within a week. Thanks for the feedback.

Well I was unable to arrange for the intercept due to my brewing partner being sick, but it looks like the package was only outside for about 2 hours at about 19 degrees, so I'm expecting little if any damage. Guess I'll know more when I prep the starter within a week. Thanks for the feedback.

There is a very low chance that everything is dead, but I would certainly use a starter.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-6.html

Not exactly your problem, but fairly close.

I had come across that article earlier when I searched for similar issues, thanks for taking the time to provide the link. I smacked the pack last night, it swelled up appropriately for about 3 hours, and the starter is working away as intended. Doesn't appear as though the short exposure had any negative effects. It will be added to the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter tonight, so I'll find out for sure over the next couple of days.

iv_hokie12 said:
There is a very low chance that everything is dead, but I would certainly use a starter.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-6.html

Not exactly your problem, but fairly close.

Back