how cold can the primary get during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krisium

Reaction score
It gets really hot in my apartment and my beer has been fermenting (i think but no bubbles in airlock) and I did see it go as high as 77 and it's roughly been somewhere in the 70's throughout. I believe that is too warm so I put it in the fridge and it got it in th 50's so I took it out thinking that is probably too cold. So I was wondering which would be the best scenario for me? I know it's not perfect but I am going to work with that I can.

I know different ale yeasts have slightly different optimal temps but your looking to be right around 65-70 degrees. Exactly what type of yeast are you using?

My recommendation is to pick the coolest place in your apartment you can find, then wrap the fermenter in wet towels and put a fan on it.

If you wet the towels a few times a day, you can cut 10-15 degrees off your room temperature in the fermenter.

Also - one of those stick on thermometer strips is a good investment if you are concerned.

Cheers!
Brad

Back