How Can I Purge an Autosiphon with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Maybe it seems like an easy task, but the devil is in the details, and with a moderately awkward piece of equipment like an autosiphon, purging it with CO2 and keeping it that way while moving around to get the siphon going, and making sure your sanitized, just seems like it could be clumsy.

Purging it probably isn't that big of a deal, but I've heard recommendations from both Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River and Michael Tonsmeire if The Mad Fermentationist. So, I figure it's worth a try.

Does anyone else do this and have recommendations for the How To?

Do you mean that you are going to put a blanket of CO2 in your fermentation vessel (and whatever vessel you're moving it to) and then rack it with the autosiphon?

Do you mean that you are going to put a blanket of CO2 in your fermentation vessel (and whatever vessel you're moving it to) and then rack it with the autosiphon?

I suppose my question is under the assumption that the vessels I'm racking from and to have both been purged with CO2, and I'm looking to also purge the autosiphon cane and tubing.

He means so there's no air in the siphon when the siphon is started. I don't think it's an issue, honestly, to be worth going through the trouble.

I transfer using a stainless racking cane now and add co2 to pressurize the carboy (plastic carboy not glass). Before that I used to purge my keg with c02 and pump the auto siphon inside of if. Then is seal if back up and transfer directly into the co2 purged keg via the beer out port (with the valve open).

I suppose my question is under the assumption that the vessels I'm racking from and to have both been purged with CO2, and I'm looking to also purge the autosiphon cane and tubing.

Oh. I see. If you purged both of the other vessels, you're doing more than most homebrewers do already. I certainly wouldn't bother with trying to purge the racking cane. It seems like a lot of work for very little return.

If you feel it's worth doing, you might just run the first ounce or two from the autosiphon to waste. After that, the wort or beer will have "purged" the autosiphon.

Before that I used to purge my keg with c02 and pump the auto siphon inside of if. Then is seal if back up and transfer directly into the co2 purged keg via the beer out port (with the valve open).

That's pretty clever and easy too. I never would have thought to do that. I guess it can't hurt to try that.

I don't do it, but you could do it pretty easily.

If you are adding co2 to a tank already, use a picnic tap and just put the end up the racking cane or tubing up against the tap.

Since the fermentation vessel has co2 just put the auto siphon in it (above the beer) and give it a few pumps. It should pump out the air and displace with co2

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you feel it's worth doing, you might just run the first ounce or two from the autosiphon to waste. After that, the wort or beer will have "purged" the autosiphon.

This is a good point. I usually use the first bit for a gravity sample anyways, that us assuming I need one at the time of transfer; I don't always.

Since the fermentation vessel has co2 just put the auto siphon in it (above the beer) and give it a few pumps. It should pump out the air and displace with co2

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought about this, and the issue I see is that as you pump CO2 out, yes it purges the siphon, but the volume us replaced in the vessel by atmospheric air. Again, probably not a big deal, but if you're going into the fine detail of purging the siphon, this is like trading a dime for two nickels.

It would be nice to seal the second vessel with the siphon tube going in and another opening for CO2 input. Then, you could pump CO2 into the vessel and out the siphon tube/cane, purging both at the same time, in a closed-system-esque fashion.

Hey! ^^ This actually worked. I hooked it up for a dry run for proof of theory. CO2 in the airlock, the siphon tube going in a second hole in the lid; purge the bucket and the siphon at the same time. I have an IPA that I'm going to dry hop in the next week. I'll drop the dry hops in, seal the bucket, purge with CO2, start the siphon to rack in, pull out the siphon, and seal the whole; the lid will never have to come off.

image.jpg

The things I find Googling my name. I put both the in and out ends of the auto-siphon in the purged keg, give it a few pumps before I start the siphon. Doubt it really does much other than make me feel better.

I actually never ended up using the method in that pic. I hook up a small sanitized barb (small enough that it doesn't stick in the autosiphon his) from the extra hose off my CO2 into the out end of the autosiphon hose and pump gas through for a bit. The racking end of the autosiphon sits in the carboy but above the liquid, which also freshens up the layer of CO2 in the carboy.

I never got the point in this thread. Why would you purge the siphon with co2?

If it's because the fear of oxidation then I don't think there's much to fear.

Besides. Gases (like oxygen, co2, whatever) are only picked up into a fluid at the surface of the liquid. So, if you have a surface area of the size of your siphon cross-section, it means you have a rediciously small surface area..

Back