How can I "Orange Up" my blue moon clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boito

Reaction score
I brewed a Blue Moon clone a couple weeks ago. I've already gone through primary and secondary fermentation in my fermentation chamber, and I've kegged all 10 gallons for 30 days of testing my patience.

BUT... it's missing that orange-ish color and flavor that Blue Moon has. I guess I just didn't add enough orange when I brewed it. So, how can I add that orange color and flavor now that it's kegged? I'd like to be able to pour it from my kegs and have it just look right. A buddy suggested boiling some orange rinds, putting them in hops sack, and letting them soak in the kegs.

Any other thoughts on how to fix it?

I think that should work but I question why you'd boil them. If you do this method, make sure you don't cut too deeply into the pith under the zest. I use a vegetable peeler and go very shallow and only cut off the orange layer.

I have never tried it, but maybe dry hop dried sweet or bitter orange you buy at the LHBS? You could always soften it in a tincture of vodka (an ounce or two) then put in a dry hop bag in keg til you hit the right note. Pitch the vodka too.

Your beer is young (is it carbed?) so things may change with conditioning.

****I have a trick I use when I make lemonade colored beers like this and want then a shade darker......I add an ounce or two of Melanoidin malt which gives you a great orangeish color w/o much flavor influence.

It's not carbed yet. I just kegged it yesterday and didn't add any CO2 yet. I wasn't sure if I should hold off until I fixed the orange problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any other thoughts are welcome. I probably won't get a chance to mess with it until tomorrow.

The orange flavor in a Belgian witbier doesn't come from orange... it comes from coriander. You can still fix this by making a tincture. Crush about a tablespoon of coriander seeds, place it in a small jar and add a couple shots of vodka, and cover it. Let that soak for a day. Then add the flavored vodka to the finished beer. That's all you need to do!!

I recently bumped up the orange flavour in a wit by zesting an orange and putting the zest in a tea ball. It didn't add any colour but added a very nice, fresh, orange flavour, I highly recommend it, it made an average brew much, much nicer.

Get some sweet orange peel, soak it in vodka for a week, and then strain the vodka into your keg. That will at least fix the flavor problem. Color is what it is, at this point.

Those flavors will shine more after a couple months of conditioning...my BM clones seem to really hit their stride after 2-3 months. I toast and grind my coriander. I have also found I prefer the dried orange peel over fresh zest. I grind the peel as well. Let it sit awhile.

I recently bumped up the orange flavour in a wit by zesting an orange and putting the zest in a tea ball. It didn't add any colour but added a very nice, fresh, orange flavour, I highly recommend it, it made an average brew much, much nicer.

Waiting for the Halo or Cutie sale at the store.
I buy 'em, eat 'em, and zest 'em, too. Fresh zest added a few minutes after the boil or in the primary adds to the aroma. As a matter of fact, the 7.5lbs. of grain in my kitchen is just waiting for the small oranges. The braggot brewing should be done in a couple weeks and I can't wait. :)

Back