How can I make my lager clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pparent79

Reaction score
ok so first of all im pretty new to all this, but I made a lager and let it ferment in the primary for a week. Then I racked it to my secondary in a glass carboy and added 4 pounds of limes to it. (yes i sterilzed and pasterized them) I want my beer to have a lime taste to it but I also am not looking forward to it being cloudy. If i cold crash this beer before I bottle it will I lose carbination? or will the fact that its lager yeast be different? Need some help guys thanks

First things first:
4 POUNDS of limes? yikes! My concern would be you'll have limes that taste like beer rather than beer that tastes like lime. Don't do fruit beers and such, but my understanding is that one should be relatively judicious with adding flavors to beer (less is more and whatnot). Limes are kinda potent. Also, I think you might've been better off using the zest to get your flavors and aromas. Not sure how that much lime will affect the cloudiness, not to mention how the acidity will affect the yeast. But again, not my forte.

One week might have been a bit quick for the primary. Cold crashing won't normally adversely affect carbonation. Cold crashing will help stuff like yeast and proteins settle out, but I'm not sure what it will do for the limes.

I really don't mean to sound like a smart-arse or anything, but typically lagers are cleared by lagering (storing for many months at low temperatures.)

ok well i didnt know what "lagering" meant....again im a noob so that helps thank you. What temp should it be at for storage and for how long?

Lagers take time ... lager meaning "to store" do not ferment fast. The lagers I have done (3 batches) sit in primary 28 days (minimum) and then secondary 28 days (minimum) ... the darker the lager the longer it takes. Once bottled 7 days at 60 F then 28 days at 50. Lastly the Vienna cleared up on its own when I left it at 38 to 40 F for 21 days (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/post-picture-your-pint-147768/index139.html) My 3rd lager batch brewed on May 7th a Schwartz Bier is in secondary 2 weeks now after 4 weeks primary and will be there for 3 or 4 more weeks. So time is what will clear the lager. As for carbonation ... cold crashing will not impact it. I cold crash all my beers before I bottle them and have had pretty good success. I am still new to this as well but the 9 batches I have brewed and the 7 I have bottled have turned out pretty good. Not sure what the limes are going to do ... only have 1 batch with fruit and I used the peel from 1 grapefruit, 2 cinnamon sticks and 1/4 oz fresh ginger to the boil at 45 minutes into the 60 minute boil. Turned good but was a little more gingery than I had hoped. Will make that one again with less ginger for Christmas.. was a real hit.

Wow Brewerin, you have way more patience and discipline than me. I just couldn't wait that long. I can only carbonate for a week before I'm ready to drink.

The trick to making a lager and waiting for it to be done is to have plenty of beer in the house. I made my first lager this year. 4 weeks primary, 5 weeks secondary, 4 weeks in the bottle (IIRC). I'm going to try it this weekend. anyway I was able to keep from drinking it because I have a red ale, IPA, Blond, and some cider to drink (All Homebrew). Along with about a case of different craft brews.

Back