How big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoXP

Reaction score
I'm about to go full-tilt into kegging/draft beer. I have a gift card and some cash which will get me a brand new 16.5 cubic foot Frigidaire refrigerator. I want a three tap system for now and long term would like to add a 4th stout faucet with nitro. Will it all fit?

I'm no expert, but 4 kegs in a 16.5 cu./ft. chest freezer shouldn't be an issue at all. You'll have room for your co2 tank in there as well.

Really depends on the model. I personally would do a chest freezer like Bobby_M build. He's got 5 kegs in there no problemo.

Chest freezer is what I use for my lagerator and if swapped to a kegerator could easily hold 4 kegs and a bottle of CO2. It would even have room to spare for hop storage or yeast. As long as your not lifting a 15.5 gallon keg in there, a top opening freezer is awesome.

GeoXP said:
I'm about to go full-tilt into kegging/draft beer. I have a gift card and some cash which will get me a brand new 16.5 cubic foot Frigidaire refrigerator. I want a three tap system for now and long term would like to add a 4th stout faucet with nitro. Will it all fit?

I have an 18' refridgerator. I can get 3 kegs in it. I could put a 5# CO2 tank in it if I didn't want to use the top shelf for storing soft drinks and other stuff. I would be able to get a 4th keg and CO2 tank in it also by removing the top shelf and setting the 4th cornie and co2 tank on the compressor ledge.

Here's what you can do, make cardboard cut outs that equal the size of the cornies. Then go down to the store and see if they'll fit. Don't forget to check and see if they fit height wise as well.

If I was going to buy a new unit I'd probably go for the freezer and temp. controller like sirsloop suggested. But I do like having that freezer on top to store my hops. I also like the fact that the fridge has a smaller foot print so it's a tough call.

another vote for chest freezer vs. upright fridge. more space for your dollar, easier to use for lagering...

My chest freezer has a 2' by 4' footrint, and I can fit six cornies and a 5# tank, with room for about a case & 1/2 of bottles.

I wish I had room for MORE kegs in there!

Yeah, after further review I think I may go the chest freezer route. Seems like it would be a better fit for my bar plans overall...
Thanks all

Back