How big is your panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utmustang

Reaction score
I have been looking at panel enclosures on eBay recently. What size panel are most people using? I know Kal recommends a minimum of a 16x16x8 box. There is a pretty good deal on eBay fora 12x12x6 box. Will it be too cramped?

Are you doing the same sort of system (i.e. number of components, PIDs, switches, etc.)?

I used a much smaller case, but only have a timer and one PID. My case is kinda awkwardly shaped, but its around 11x6.5. It's still in process, but will be cozy (but not cramped). I managed to cram the SSR + heatsink, 2 traditional 15A 3 prong outlets, 1 30A 3 prong outlet, 2 high power relays, some terminal blocks, XLR connection and the toggle switches. I made a conscious decision to cut out some components to make it a smaller setup.

That siad, I know when I got the case I thought, "Wow, how did I expect to fit all this in here" even after planning/diagramming it all out.

Someone w/ more experience would need to speak on specifics for the whole Kal setup

I am going to use 3 pids from Auber like Kal's setup. There will be 3 contactors in the box. I do not intend to have the amp and volt meters that Kal has on his panel.

I have the 12x12x6 case and find that its very cramped... It all fits, but with more space it would be easier. The contactors and the pids will likely need to be offset from each other because of the depth (or lack thereof) of the case.

I have a 16x14 hoffman, and pretty happy... went looking for another today, went out on eBay and found a 16x16 Hoffman for $25 +$30S&H that was used, but had din rail, contactors, 3 240V twistlock outlets 30A cable, and more stuff... a electric brewer's dream for $55... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370358892103 a few small holes in the front, but the beer will taste better knowing I spent less..

My general rule on enclosure purchases is to lay out what you want in there, guess what size enclosure you think you can fit it in, then double it.

I think mine is about 14x10x5. two PIDs, one SSR, a bunch of switches and lights. Definitely more crowded than I want it. It was free though, so I made due.

I'll be using two of these.

http://store.solutionsdirectonline....991.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase

One for the high voltage stuff, another for all my 12v stuff and switches (brewtroller)

great price, nice enclosure 7" deep lets you have switches or PID's in the door in front of SSR's and still be able to shut the door... I would suggest an inside panel to mount stuff on, the cad drawing looks like it is set up for one and it says it is an option

-mike

I'm in the process of building mine. I bought a Weigmann 16x12x8 enclosure. I have 4 recepticles for heating and 2 for pumps....it's tight.

How about opinions on metals versus plastic? Plastic would be easier to drill and cut.

That's why I picked plastic. I wanted to buy as few 'extra' tools as possible - so regular hole saws worked well with a plastic box.

...that said, if I wasn't trying (pretending?) to make this a 'cheap-er' project, I would go metal.

13.5" x 13.5" x 7"

Lots of room but it must weigh 50 pounds and I am still not finished.

Before

!BzV,y3!BWk~$(KGrHqZ,!i!Ew4-7EmPvBMVkPIz+1!~~_3.JPG

After

IMG_2222.jpg

I would suggest searching on eBay for one of the following if you want a sweet deal on something like these.
hoffman 14*
hoffman 16*

once you are seeing these, you can tweak your search terms and maybe find a gem of a deal on a similar one...

I am seriously considering mounting my controls inside a 5.56 ammo can.

The only thing that is holding me back is that I know it's going to be really tough to mount the components and connect and route the wiring.

Back