How big a flask should I use for a step up starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggriffi

Reaction score
I have a 2L flask now. Do I need one larger than that or can I use this one as long as I pour off the wort after cold crashing?

Depends on how you're going to step it up. Regargless, if you try to do a 2L starter in a 2L flask, chances are you're going to have a mess. Ask me how I know. You can do a 1L, then step up to 1.5 and maybe keep it all in the flask.

A lot of my Mr malty calculations are coming up as greater than 2L. I have 2L flask but am thinking of up grading to 5L

I'd have to pull out my 'Yeast' book to come up with the numbers, but with your 2L Erlenmeyer you can make your standard starter, pour off the supernatant(used fluid) after a couple days , add new wort and ferment again. Can even repeat a 3rd time. I believe with this 'stepping up' technique you can get much higher numbers, approaching using a 5L starter.

I'd have to pull out my 'Yeast' book to come up with the numbers, but with your 2L Erlenmeyer you can make your standard starter, pour off the supernatant(used fluid) after a couple days , add new wort and ferment again. Can even repeat a 3rd time. I believe with this 'stepping up' technique you can get much higher numbers, approaching using a 5L starter.

is that book something a relative noob like me should consider?

is that book something a relative noob like me should consider?

Depends on your personal preferences.
If you become fascinated with this hobby like many of us, then the book is worth having.

As far as needing a huge flask, not necessarily.

With a little planning, a stepped up starter can be made with a 2L flask.

I routinely make a 1500ml starter wort (1.035 gravity) an let it go for 24-36 hours and then crash it.
Next day I take it out, let it warm up and repeat the process.

I commonly build up colonies of 250-400 billion cells in about a week.
This of course is always dependent on the date of manufacture of the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on your personal preferences.
If you become fascinated with this hobby like many of us, then the book is worth having.

As far as needing a huge flask, not necessarily.

With a little planning, a stepped up starter can be made with a 2L flask.

I routinely make a 1500ml starter wort (1.035 gravity) an let it go for 24-36 hours and then crash it.
Next day I take it out, let it warm up and repeat the process.

I commonly build up colonies of 250-400 billion cells in about a week.
This of course is always dependent on the date of manufacture of the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks I may have to look into this book, because I am becoming very fascinated with this hobby and I would like to think I am doing a better job of brewing with each batch I make. And thanks for the advice on flask size as well, although I believe that I will pick up another flask so that I could have another starter ready in case I want to brew on back to back days. :mug:

Back