How best to use oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
I want to make an oatmeal stout, but right now I am steeping grain and extract brewer. I have talked to a couple of homebrewers who said I could steep the oats with an equal part 2-row and other specialty grains. However it seems like the vast majority of recipes call for at least a partial mash of the oats.

So can I do either? Is steeping and partial mash the same thing since I have never done a PM, I always thought they were different? Am I over thinking all of this?

I want to make an oatmeal stout, but right now I am steeping grain and extract brewer. I have talked to a couple of homebrewers who said I could steep the oats with an equal part 2-row and other specialty grains. However it seems like the vast majority of recipes call for at least a partial mash of the oats.

So can I do either? Is steeping and partial mash the same thing since I have never done a PM, I always thought they were different? Am I over thinking all of this?

Steeping the flakes with an equal portion of pale malt is essentially a partial mash. The big difference in the two is the presence of enzymes from the base malt to convert starch into sugar. Without the enzymes you're just steeping not mashing.

A mash is nothing more than a glorified steep anyway. As long as you have base malts in the mix you'll have conversion. It may not be efficient, but it'll do the job.

Steeping the flakes with an equal portion of pale malt is The big difference in the two is the presence of enzymes from the base malt to convert starch into sugar.
Temperature is just as important. All the enzymes in the world won't help if they're denatured. Steeping is often done in the 160-165 range. To get conversion you have to stay in the 148 to 160 temperature range for a half hour minimum.

Temperature is just as important. All the enzymes in the world won't help if they're denatured. Steeping is often done in the 160-165 range. To get conversion you have to stay in the 148 to 160 temperature range for a half hour minimum.

I have always steeped in the 150-155 range for half an hour. I was thinking of steeping the pound of oats and pound of 2-Row for an hour and add the rest of my specialty grains a half hour in. That makes sense right?

I have always steeped in the 150-155 range for half an hour. I was thinking of steeping the pound of oats and pound of 2-Row for an hour and add the rest of my specialty grains a half hour in. That makes sense right?

Just put everything in together.

Back