How Bad is it going to be???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absolutbmc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Happy New Year. I need some opinions, I was brewing up a batch of Oktoberfest and as I was adding the remaining amount of Wort to my fermenting pail my strainer fell into the bucket. My immediate reaction was oh damn, followed by my hand going in after it. I pulled it right out, by I am worried I just contaminated my beer. What are your thoughts?

I am going to let it ferment and see what happens. How long will it take before I know it is bad?

I am so mad because I got kegging equipment for Christmas and this was going to be my first kegged batch.

Thanks
Brian

Nothings going to happen. Unless you were packing sauerkraut just before that happened it's unlikely you'll have an issue.

While I'm certainly not the most experienced guy on here, logic tells me that people brewed for centuries before anyone had any knowledge of sanitation, and the resulting beer was good enough for people to keep wanting more of it. It'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. Ever batch that I have made something always goes wrong and it comes out fine. I just needed some reassurance

Wouldn't worry too much, I've done similar things. Besides, most of the time when brewing your hands are pretty clean anyway.

thisgoestoeleven said:
While I'm certainly not the most experienced guy on here, logic tells me that people brewed for centuries before anyone had any knowledge of sanitation, and the resulting beer was good enough for people to keep wanting more of it. It'll be fine.

Beer soured pretty quickly centuries ago. But it got you drunk, provided refreshment and nutrition, and it was what was available. By today's standards, most of it would probably fall short of "good enough".

But the last few days I've been serving a IIPA that even plenty of BMC drinkers have really enjoyed. Yet when I made it, my strainer got clogged and I had to pour the kettle into a large dryhop bag in the fermentor. And since I used leaf hops, and lots of em, it had absorbed most of the wort, forcing me to take that dryhop bag and squeeze all the wort out of the hops, with it trickling all over my hands as it went into the fermentor.

Granted, an IIPA is probably the most infection-resistant style there is, but the point is that it doesn't automatically spell out doom. It was my most problematic brew ever, and yet everybody seems to love it... even non-craft drinkers. So RDWHAHB.

I dropped off stir bar in a bucket of beer and went in up to my elbow for it. Beer turned out great.

emjay said:
forcing me to take that dryhop bag and squeeze all the wort out of the hops, with it trickling all over my hands as it went into the fermentor.

Hasn't this happened to you before? Yep, your Pliny clone, I remember now... ;)

Hi All,

Happy New Year. I need some opinions, I was brewing up a batch of Oktoberfest and as I was adding the remaining amount of Wort to my fermenting pail my strainer fell into the bucket. My immediate reaction was oh damn, followed by my hand going in after it. I pulled it right out, by I am worried I just contaminated my beer. What are your thoughts?

I am going to let it ferment and see what happens. How long will it take before I know it is bad?

I am so mad because I got kegging equipment for Christmas and this was going to be my first kegged batch.

Thanks
Brian

Here's my thought:

Happy new year, don't worry about it (it's just beer and will 99% turn out OK anyway), and cheers!

(and have fun with the new kegging gear, your'e gonna love it)

While brewing yesterday I had to pour wort through a strainer and dig out the hop cones out with my hands...which I didn't sanitize for about two minutes of doing that. I'm not stressing it. Yeast is pretty tough.

bottlebomber said:
Hasn't this happened to you before? Yep, your Pliny clone, I remember now... ;)

Pliny-ish, but not quite a clone. And that's what I'm referring to heh. How you remember that, I have no idea. Some sort of homebrew rainman I guess?

Back