How about those Packers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't envy anyone in either game yesterday. Sorry to all the Farve and pack fans. Looks like the only people who are going to be watching in a couple of weeks are going to be in the northeast.

As a person who was born in Green Bay, was wrapped in green and gold swaddling, and who spent the first few months of his life living in the shadows of the stadium, I frankly am taking this a bit hard.

If probably would not have been nearly as bad if they had lost a shootout 34-31 or something like that. It just seemed, though, that the Packers somehow did not bring their A game yesterday. You have to give NY credit for playing very well, but it just seemed as though other than Donald Driver none of the other players really showed up. The defense just couldn't ever get off the field.

The most important play of the game? The roughing the passer call that Manning got following a batted down pass on 3rd down early in the game. That time the Packers thought they had stopped a Giant's drive, only to find that the penalty gave them a first down.

Bottom line? It was a great season, totally unexpected, but one which also leaves me with lots of questions about the future of the team. I was very disappointed on the Packers' drive in OT that Favre didn't show more patience.

I actually feel pretty bad for Bret Favre. I usually find it hard to feel bad for professional athletes but Favre is a different cat. I wanted him to get a ring this year. He has a passion for the game that no one in the league has.

When he burnt the Broncos with a bomb on the first play of overtime I was pissed for a minute. Then I had to sit back and admire him.

I'm hoping he comes back for one more year to get that ring. That is of course unless he is playing the Broncos in the Super Bowl. (Not a big threat there)

The whole team imploded. What did they get, 5 defensive penalties in a row? They just fell apart. The entire team sucked and Farve will get the blame for not getting it done and that's not fair.

As true as that may be, it's sad to see a warior like Favre losing in a game that was dominated by the conditions. Yes, both teams played on the same field, and oddly enough you would think that GB would be used to the cold, but that game was defined by the extreme cold. On any other field on any other day, GB beats NY 10 games out of 10. Too bad for Farve. A tough way to check out.

Paul

At the end of the day, the spectre of being the all-time NFL leader in interceptions is always going to be there for Favre. That OT pick was a very poor decision.

Yeah, it's bad enough to come this far and then blow it---but the fact that it rests pretty much on Brett's shoulders, that's gotta hurt. But you know, even when they were suckin', you could see Brett on the sideline cool and composed---as opposed to that chump Brady, who looks like he's about to cry like a depressed pubescent girl every time the Pats aren't up by 40 points.

paulthenurse said:
The whole team imploded. What did they get, 5 defensive penalties in a row? They just fell apart. The entire team sucked and Farve will get the blame for not getting it done and that's not fair.

As true as that may be, it's sad to see a warior like Favre losing in a game that was dominated by the conditions. Yes, both teams played on the same field, and oddly enough you would think that GB would be used to the cold, but that game was defined by the extreme cold. On any other field on any other day, GB beats NY 10 games out of 10. Too bad for Farve. A tough way to check out.

Paul

The Giants won because they were better. Nobody credits the Gianst with being a good team, they won three on the road by defeating three prior Super Bowl winning teams. Eli is lambasted by the media for being inconsistent, but Favre is treated like a god despite his inconsistency.

The Giants did play very well. They are walking into a windmill now. Hopefully, Tom Coughlin will watch the tapes from the Pats-Chargers and learn what has to be done . Leave the kicker home - if you don't score TDs, FGs = L.

No question at all-- the Giants played well. If the Packers had showed up, though, they would have won going away. How could you not come to a game that important an not be ready to play?

The Giants got the type of game that they wanted and were able to execute. They deserve to be in the Superbowl.

I hope for the Giant fan's sake that Plaxico keeps his 'tude off the field.
He acted more like PlaxiT.O. and/or Meshawn.

Do you think Tiki's feeling a little antsy this morning?

olllllo said:
Do you think Tiki's feeling a little antsy this morning?

I think if Tiki was still playing, the Gianst wouldn't be in the Super Bowl. He created a lot of tension in the locker room last year.

I had to watch it via internet play by play and it was very intense. Being in AUS and spared from ALL of the rhetoric., (no commentators, no visuals, just the cold hard numbers and facts) I have to say that GB really stuffed up on Defense. They are ranked pretty well (16th I believe?) but they just weren't getting the job done. The play where Eli's 3rd and 9 screw up was saved by a GB Defensive penalty, giving NYG a 1st down was the turning point in the game. Without this penalty, NY wouldn't have had the momentum to finish GB off like they did.

paulthenurse said:

Paul

I disagree, New York has played inspired football for the past 5 weeks. They have stopped the best offences the NFC has to offer and played nearly mistake free on both sides of the ball.

Green Bay lost the game because they became one-dimensional. The Giants completely stopped the Green Bay running attack to the tune of 28 yards for the game.

mr x said:
At the end of the day, the spectre of being the all-time NFL leader in interceptions is always going to be there for Favre. That OT pick was a very poor decision.

Not a poor decision, just a poor throw. If it had been deeper and more to the outside, it would have been a TD.

It was a very exciting game. I was pacing the floor from the fourth quarter on. It was too bad, but you can't win 'em all. Not even the Pats. It may take until next year, but they will lose again, too.

Docapi said:
One word:

Harris. :mad:

He's a hack, always has been always will be. It is incredible that he got into the Pro Bowl. He cannot fairly cover second level recievers in the NFL, let alone Plexico.

Yesterday was the first time, in my life, I pulled for NYG.

It is pretty sweet to see them going into the big game the year after Tiki retired :rockin::rockin::rockin:

The Packers didn't implode, they were outplayed. Giants owned the line both defensively and offensively. When its -4 you gotta run more than you pass and they gave up on that. I would have preferred some more 3 and outs while trying the run than the 3 and out passes. That chilly out isn't ever going to be a big scoring game so work clock & field position. And of course Harris was Plexico's B!tch. Face it, the Packers are not a cold weather team as they stand today and why they got spanked by the Bears too.

No dispair at all on the Packers future either. Youngest team in the league made it to the championship game. Future is actually bright.

Giants aren't getting enough credit. Beat the odds 3x now in the playoffs. And remember Pat fans, they were in the lead until the 4th quarter in Dec. I don't think the Superbowl will be a blow-out at all.

DesertBrew said:
The Packers didn't implode, they were outplayed. Giants owned the line both defensively and offensively. When its -4 you gotta run more than you pass and they gave up on that. I would have preferred some more 3 and outs while trying the run than the 3 and out passes. That chilly out isn't ever going to be a big scoring game so work clock & field position. And of course Harris was Plexico's B!tch. Face it, the Packers are not a cold weather team as they stand today and why they got spanked by the Bears too.

No dispair at all on the Packers future either. Youngest team in the league made it to the championship game. Future is actually bright.

Giants aren't getting enough credit. Beat the odds 3x now in the playoffs. And remember Pat fans, they were in the lead until the 4th quarter in Dec. I don't think the Superbowl will be a blow-out at all.

Couldn't have said this better.

I am truly happy for the Giants--they deserved to go.

I loved this season--it was probably my most enjoyable season ever. Watching this young Packer team grow up and get this far was really a fun ride.

It was a great season to behold and I enjoyed the game. So we will gather for the Superbowl and enjoy its conclusion.

Anybody on this site a Packer stockholder?

I was angry at first but I am lifelong and will always be a Packers and Favre fan and He is a Gunslinger and through it up like he always does and I cant be mad for that because he has never changed how he plays is to impress critics and I admire that. I wouldnt of wanted him to be conservative and throw the little screens that were doing nothing he went for it all and it didn't work out No big deal Ive got to see him won a SB and Noone expected them to get to the NFC Champ this year it was a great year! Congrats to Giants Fans and Go Patriots!!!!

DesertBrew said:

Gotta do it. Great season Pats and thats no dig but the giants deserve da profs. There O/D line kicks arse...

DesertBrew said:
Gotta do it. Great season Pats and thats no dig but the giants deserve da profs. There O/D line kicks arse...

You got it. Great ending to a great NFL season.

The better team deserved to win...can anyone disagree?

Reality has set in. No NFL for 6+ months. Depression has set in. :( :(. I'm gonna have a big glass of makers.

Enjoy Giants fans, you deserve it.

Dude said:
You got it. Great ending to a great NFL season.

The better team deserved to win...can anyone disagree?

Can't disagree at all but still would of loved to see greenbay there especially since how certain people here were all cocky saying the pats would of blown them out.

Bernie Brewer said:
Are you crazy????? Spring training starts in two weeks!!!!!!! Now the real game begins!!!!!:ban: :ban: :ban:

Hell yeah :mug:

Baseball is on almost every night. That's nowhere near depressing for me...

He's a Yooper. He lives closer to GB and MIL than he does Det.

Homer knows that- as they've been to my cottage together which is what? 3 miles from Wisconsin? I think Homer is a Yooper-wannabe so he has to give him some crap! :D

I enjoyed the game on Sunday, that's for sure. I'm worried about the Lions/Packers match up, because the Lions are looking better than they have in a long time!

Back