Hot Plate for Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster_54738

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. My fiancee and I are moving in together in a couple weeks. The place we're renting has a glass top stove which I know isn't ideal for brewing. I normally brew AG in the garage with a propane burner but since this is an apartment there is no outdoor water spigot to run the wort chiller. I may try and rig up some recirculating thing to get me by but then I got to thinking what about getting a hot plate or electric element and brew smaller AG batches inside or switch back to extract for the short time we're there.

Are there any good options for doing this, hot plate or smaller electric burner?

My guess is that a small electric burner or hot plate won''t be any better than the stove. I've done extract partial boils (2.5 gal) on our glass cooktop with no trouble. So you might want to try the stove with a small batch first.

My guess is that a small electric burner or hot plate won''t be any better than the stove. I've done extract partial boils (2.5 gal) on our glass cooktop with no trouble. So you might want to try the stove with a small batch first.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll just have to wait and get in there and see how much I can boil on the stove.

Back