Hot house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praetoriv

Reaction score
I am currently working on building up my brewery in my workshop at a new house we moved into the same day of the 2013 giveaway. Some of you may remember that I won the Brewmaster Controls - Brewmaster Pico System Grand prize. I haven't received it yet as Dustin over at Brewmaster controls is working on the newest generation for me. This has also given me time to build up my brewery in the mean time.

Sunday I brewed a stout and pitched yeast no problem. I put the fermenter into my chamber which is in my yet unfinished workshop. Set up my temp controller and checked on it yesterday to be greeted with a nice krausen. I then took off to work where I traveled over night. I arrived back home to be greeted with a 90 degree chamber. At some point overnight the CGFI popped on the outlet I was plugged into. It had slowly been building all day as my wife checked on the chamber last night before going to bed.

Now my efficiency was all bollocks so we won't go into that and I ferment in glass but don't hvave a stick on thermometer so I don't know where the beer settled before I turned the fridge back on. So what could I expect for the beer? The yeast should like the higher temp but this has never happened to me before so I have no clue what may happen.

Cheers,

High fermentation temps leads to fusel alcohol production, resulting in esters & other off-flavors in your finished beer. Since you were a few days into fermentation, the effects may perhaps not be as dramatic. Also depends on the strain of yeast you used, as some are more tolerant of higher temps than others.

Back