Hot Head yeast (omega)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleEsq

Nobody likes Lawyers.... Until You need One.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this yeast yet. I am very excited if it works.
Fermentation temp up to 98 degrees. For us in south Florida keeping our homebrew cool enough is a year round problem.

I ordered some and should be in next week.

used a similar strain - Imperial Loki. Norwegian yeast. Did an American strong with it. Worked great - and fast. Three days from 1.087 to 1.018. I am inclined to believe that the behavior of Hot Head is not much different. I say go for a batch now and test it out.

It is my understanding that the bigger the beer, the better with these strains though...

Brewed an 8.2% Brut with Hothead. Yeast worked fine at 90f. There is a bit of a flaw in it that I just can’t quite figure out, but all in all the yeast was great.

Used Hothead two times. Works at advertised, although I only used it at around 80-83F, but all Kveik yeast will easily ferment with no off-flavours up to 100F.

How versatile is it? I see lots of people using it for IPAs, but is it good for other styles?

I'm using HotHead for the first time, and started it out at ambient temp 68°+/-. It's only three days in, and I can say at that temp it started bubbling w/in a few hours, and I noticed the bubbling starting to drop off after 24hrs, and was slow by 36-72hrs. I have since wrapped it in a heating blanket, and per the thermometer probe I have sandwiched between the blankets and fermenter, I have it up to about 81° 96hrs in, and it's back bubbling at a steady med-slow pace. I plan on doing some dry hopping before bottling, so it has yeet to be known how this will turn out.

I brewed Sunday. Pitched Hothead at 82f and ramped the temp to 90. 24 hrs later it went from 1.060 to 1.015!

I've used it several times, in ipas n pale ales n I like it. I used it in my lil experiment going on now to see if my friends n I could tell the difference between Maris otter n avangard malt. It chewed threw the wort leaving 7.8 abv roughly

Back