Hot fermented IIPA- how long in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
So I brewed a huge IIPA 10 days ago and the krausen is JUST starting to fall. The OG was 1.070, but I boosted it with a pound of DME and a pound of corn sugar a couple days into fermentation.

My problem is that I failed to keep the first 3 days of fermentation below 76-78 degrees F. (Pretty stupid I know) I was able to drop the temp to between 66-68 degrees since then, but I'm afraid I'm going to get some massive fruity esters and fusels after perusing some forum topics about warm fermentations.

So I'm wondering if I should leave it in the primary for another week or two before dry-hopping in the secondary, or just go ahead with my plan to rack after 14 days? Will longer time on the yeast clean up the unwanted esters or is it more important to get this bad boy dry hopped as soon as possible?

Thanks again for the advice. This is one awesome community!

^ Agreed with above. Whats done is done IMO. Your ferment was high you are going to have the esters and fustel regardless. Your yeast will clean up the longer you leave it. You might leave it in the bottle for a while and you could potentially clean some of that up but I wouldnt count on it.

Latest posts

Back