Hot alchohols in weissebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I made a weissebock about 3 weeks ago, didn't quite hit my OG of 1.070 so i thought i'd get a bit experimental(usually a bad idea) and throw in some invert #3 to get up to what i needed. I used about a pound or 8%. I've taken some samples and it is quite nice but I can taste some hot alcohols are present.
My other worry is i didn't oxygenate enough, I just splashed it into fermenter.

I used wlp300, the temp stayed in high 60s low 70s and i pitched plenty of active yeast.

Anybody know where i went wrong?

P.s I know i'm tasting early but in my experience you can detect hot alcohols early on and they don't really go away.

I ferment all my ales around 60*F. Fusels are caused by stressed yeast, but also high temps. Higher gravity beers concentrate fermentation byproducts, for good, and bad. So even though a Weizen may taste fine fermented at 70* at 1.045, you'd need to lower the ferm temp to get the same character at 1.070.

1) What is "plenty" of active yeast? How large of a starter, how many vials/packs, stir plate or no?

2) "High 60s low 70s" is way too high for something of that nature. I start all of my high gravity brews (1.060+) at 60* and ramp it up to my desired fermentation temp 1-2* a day to eliminate fusels but still preserve the yeast flavors/aromas I want.

Amanda, off-topic, but I went to the Cardinals v. Cardinals game last night. It was a good game. I think it was televised. Did you catch it?

I did a 1l starter with about 150ml of washed yeast slurry. Started at about 66f and got to about 71f on day 4. I assumed this yeast could handle that kind of temp, but I didn't really think about the effect of higher OG.

I wonder if a combination of poor oxygenation and higher temps stressed the yeast out.

Latest posts

Back