Hosehead Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Hosehead used and move it over to CraftbeerPi. It was a bit of a pain because I am not a computer guy but got it done. It is still growing so there are updates and the Facebook group is active.

Do yall know if the Hosehead has a buzzer built in? I cant find any thing about it and mine never makes a sound, lol. It would be nice for step notice and hop additions. I don't mind opening it up to add to the GPIO (?) but not sure which number to add it too.

I don't think it has a buzzer- at least I've never heard one or seen an option. I still claim it's the best off the shelf electric panel option.

Any ideas why my HLT continues to rise beyond the set point?

Sorry I don’t have a direct answer for you but I know I read elsewhere of someone having the same problem and it was fixed very simply. Perhaps a search might find it.

I figured it out. After I did an auto tune, the boil stop point defaulted back to 80f. I adjusted it up to 210 and voila- HLT works fine.

I don't think it has a buzzer- at least I've never heard one or seen an option. I still claim it's the best off the shelf electric panel option.

I emailed Cory a couple months ago and confirmed there is no buzzer.

Agree also on the Hosehead - been using it (with CraftBeerPi) 6 months now and couldn't be happier with it.

Hey everyone. I’m mid Brew here today, first brew using my new hosehead with strangebrew can’t get the web browser to bring up the interface window. It says unable to connect.

Below that it says err connection refused

Any ideas?

Not familiar with that one, but the one or two times I've had problems I just deleted the Strangebrew config file and rebooted to reset it.

Can anyone help me with updating craft beer pi 2.2 to 3 on the Hosehead. I’m get a crazy boil with 2.2 and apparently in 3 there’s options for more control over the power to the element.

I did it a month or so ago. I used the same instructions for 2.2 and just changed the name - i e used 3.0 wherever 2.2 was

If you go to 3.0, use the Master Branch vs. the other one has issues.

And plan to install it 3 times. Not sure why, but it always takes 3 times before everything meshes...

If you go to 3.0, use the Master Branch vs. the other one has issues.

And plan to install it 3 times. Not sure why, but it always takes 3 times before everything meshes...

Ok thanks! You’re gonna have to hold my hand a little bit here. I tried to run an update from the suggestions on GitHub but it turns out I didn’t authorize my email address when signing up so i believe this is the reason I couldn’t update from 2.2 to 3.0

I’m going to try again tomorrow when I get home, if it’s not successful on the first update how do I go about uninstalling and then trying again?

Ok thanks! You’re gonna have to hold my hand a little bit here. I tried to run an update from the suggestions on GitHub but it turns out I didn’t authorize my email address when signing up so i believe this is the reason I couldn’t update from 2.2 to 3.0

I’m going to try again tomorrow when I get home, if it’s not successful on the first update how do I go about uninstalling and then trying again?

LOL it would be the blind leading blind!

So, I went from Strange brew to CraftBeer Pi. Had to get new card and put fresh install of everything on it , then did 2.2.... 3 times before it worked. Then 3.0 came out and I thought "Ok, can't be as bad to upgrade as to switch." Wrong. Took three tries to get it to work. But now it works ( for the most part, still can only load 1 recipe at at time)

If I did it over again- download the latest Raspberry OS, make copies on 2 cards, down load 3.0 master branch and try setting it up. If it does not take first time, delete the Craftbeer Pi folder and try again.

I am like a monkey banging on a rock with a banana when it comes to computer- I may get it done , but it is going to be a mess first!

LOL it would be the blind leading blind!

So, I went from Strange brew to CraftBeer Pi. Had to get new card and put fresh install of everything on it , then did 2.2.... 3 times before it worked. Then 3.0 came out and I thought "Ok, can't be as bad to upgrade as to switch." Wrong. Took three tries to get it to work. But now it works ( for the most part, still can only load 1 recipe at at time)

If I did it over again- download the latest Raspberry OS, make copies on 2 cards, down load 3.0 master branch and try setting it up. If it does not take first time, delete the Craftbeer Pi folder and try again.

I am like a monkey banging on a rock with a banana when it comes to computer- I may get it done , but it is going to be a mess first!

Hahah! Well sir I will be giving it all a try.

Thanks

Ok, so I’m even further down on the monkey hierarchy than you are. I’m not even sure how I go about updating to 3. I have 2.2 on my system right now.
I looked around GitHub for a bit but I have not a clue what I’m looking at in there. Do I use code lines in the terminal window to update or is there a packaged update software like I’m used to?

I signed up for a github account hoping to figure it out but I’m lost.

I took a look at their website but when I follow the instructions on how to update it just says that 2.2 is the most current update and that I already have it.

Ok, so I’m even further down on the monkey hierarchy than you are. I’m not even sure how I go about updating to 3. I have 2.2 on my system right now.
I looked around GitHub for a bit but I have not a clue what I’m looking at in there. Do I use code lines in the terminal window to update or is there a packaged update software like I’m used to?

I signed up for a github account hoping to figure it out but I’m lost.

I took a look at their website but when I follow the instructions on how to update it just says that 2.2 is the most current update and that I already have it.

I dont believe there is a direct upgrade path.

Most recommend setting up a new sd card from scratch and installing v3 on that - so if any issues you can just put the old card in.

Otherwise there should be no reason why you cant install v3 in addition to 2.2. You'll just need to ensure 2.2 is not set to auto start when the pi boots up (you can set 3 to do this). You should also take note of the gpio numbers for each sensor as you'll need it for setting 3.0 from scratch.

Hope this helps. Its essentially the same process used when switching from Elisnore to cbpi except you use
"git clone https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi3"

I dont believe there is a direct upgrade path.

Most recommend setting up a new sd card from scratch and installing v3 on that - so if any issues you can just put the old card in.

Otherwise there should be no reason why you cant install v3 in addition to 2.2. You'll just need to ensure 2.2 is not set to auto start when the pi boots up (you can set 3 to do this). You should also take note of the gpio numbers for each sensor as you'll need it for setting 3.0 from scratch.

Hope this helps. Its essentially the same process used when switching from Elisnore to cbpi except you use
"git clone https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi3"

Thanks, it was that very last bit of information I was looking for.

Ok I’ll give that a go. However I do not have an extra SD card. I’ll try it without and see if I have any luck.

I’m assuming it’s recommended to use an extra SD card since that version is still in beta and unforeseeable problems may arise?

A question on the SD card, with the Hosehead is the SD card just additional storage or does the whole raspberry pi operational software reside on the card? Basically I’m asking will I have to set up the new SD card with raspberry pi or just plug and play?

Thanks so much for the help!

I loaded 3, and everything seems to work except for the control over the element power. It seems to have no effect, I set it to 20% and it just keeps at an aggressive boil.

That feature is the only reason I need version 3

I’m gonna delete and reinstall to see if that helps anything, unless someone else has some suggestions

Craftbeerpi3 seems to be in continuous beta test mode. The list of "plug ins" or "add ons" or whatever they are called is getting pretty ridiculous. Install a plugin, presto, temp sensors disappear..... I've never been able to make It work 100%, reliably. 2.2 was good If you don't need PWM. Strange brew elsinore works fine for what I use It for, and I don't have to waste time screwing with it.

I loaded 3, and everything seems to work except for the control over the element power. It seems to have no effect, I set it to 20% and it just keeps at an aggressive boil.

That feature is the only reason I need version 3

I’m gonna delete and reinstall to see if that helps anything, unless someone else has some suggestions

Did you set the boil element up as GPIOPWM? This is required for controlling the power (it doesnt actually change the power to the element but pulses it on and off). I also use the "SimpleBoilLogic" add on which runs the element full power until reaches boil temp then drops it back to 60%.

Craftbeerpi3 seems to be in continuous beta test mode. The list of "plug ins" or "add ons" or whatever they are called is getting pretty ridiculous. Install a plugin, presto, temp sensors disappear..... I've never been able to make It work 100%, reliably. 2.2 was good If you don't need PWM. Strange brew elsinore works fine for what I use It for, and I don't have to waste time screwing with it.

All development now seems to be on Craftbeerpi 3.1 so dont think 3.0 will ever come out of 'beta' - and some of the 3.1 features do look quite cool but who knows when it will be released. Ive not had any issues with 3.0 but as always everyone's system and setup is different.

Carftbeerpi user group on facebook is an active and great resource for help...https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftbeerpi/

Not Everyone uses facebook.... I don't know why so many companies rely on It as their sole support/marketing mechanism.

Not Everyone uses facebook.... I don't know why so many companies rely on It as their sole support/marketing mechanism.

Agreed...i dont care for facebook in the slightest.
But as for craftbeerpi, it isnt a company...its a guy writing software in his spare time for free. The user group is just a bunch of people discussing/helping each other out no different to the forums here. Personally id much rather use forums, but the facebook group is quite active.

Agreed...i dont care for facebook in the slightest.
But as for craftbeerpi, it isnt a company...its a guy writing software in his spare time for free. The user group is just a bunch of people discussing/helping each other out no different to the forums here. Personally id much rather use forums, but the facebook group is quite active.

Yeah, good point. Even If I never get craft beer Pi to work, i've gotten My moneys worth :^)

So finally heating water seems to be going pretty fast. I started with 30 gallons of water in the pot it was probably 50F. I have 2 - 5500 watt heating elements in the pot. In a half hour I'm at about 120F.

Questions:

How hot to the touch does the unit itself get for you guys? Just checking since this all new to me and I DIY'd everything.

Can someone point me in the direction of putting how to put recipes into Elsinore?

I'm going to brew a few times with the Elsinore that came on the unit before attempting to switch over to Craft beer pi

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two elements look at a single temp probe? I'd like to control two elements simultaneously from one sensing point.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two elements look at a single temp probe? I'd like to control two elements simultaneously from one sensing point.

You can certainly assign the same sensor to 2 kettles so cannot see why it wouldnt work. If both elements are in the same kettle then im not sure how you'd set that up as I think each kettle can only have one actor (element) - but if you set up as 2 kettles it should be fine.

Edit - Sorry, I am referring to CraftbeerPi 3, if using Elisnore then not sure how the setup works

I think this should be easy using craftbeerpi. I think you would assign each element to the same sensor address.

You can certainly assign the same sensor to 2 kettles so cannot see why it wouldnt work. If both elements are in the same kettle then im not sure how you'd set that up as I think each kettle can only have one actor (element) - but if you set up as 2 kettles it should be fine.

Edit - Sorry, I am referring to CraftbeerPi 3, if using Elisnore then not sure how the setup works
This may be a reason to install CraftBeerPi out of the gate.

Know how to do this in Elsinore? Apologies, because I am clueless when it comes to software/hardware interfacing.

It's all hardware. Just "Y" the GPIO output (+) pin you use for one SSR, and drive two SSRs with It. If you only want to use one element, put a small Low current manual switch on one of the Y legs.

It's all hardware. Just "Y" the GPIO output (+) pin you use for one SSR, and drive two SSRs with It. If you only want to use one element, put a small Low current manual switch on one of the Y legs.
That's what I was afraid of. I'd like to do this without hardware changes. Reason being is that I'd like to fire the heating elements based on the wort return temp to the mash tun during the mash, and then switch it to fire the elements based on the BK temp during the boil.

So I guess I should have worded my original question a little differently.

Can I do these two things: fire two elements together off one probe and then switch what temp probe they read when boiling?

Edit: I currently do this with my EZBoil and a switch (fire two elements and switch them). I have no qualms about modifying the wiring, but hope I can accomplish this without changes to the out of the box package.

Using cbpi3:

You’d have to set up each temp probe and each heater as individual actors and sensors. Then you’d use the actor group plugin to group your heaters together. Next you’d set up two Kettles. One would be the heaters and a probe and the other would be the same heaters and a different probe.

I’m not sure how you are physically wired currently but this would be the software side.

Using cbpi3:

You’d have to set up each temp probe and each heater as individual actors and sensors. Then you’d use the actor group plugin to group your heaters together. Next you’d set up two Kettles. One would be the heaters and a probe and the other would be the same heaters and a different probe.

I’m not sure how you are physically wired currently but this would be the software side.
Thanks for this. Exactly what I needed to know.

I watched a cbpi3 set up video last night and caught onto everything you mention above except the group plug-in. I'll see what I can dig up on it.

Thanks everyone for being very helpful.

Back