Hosehead Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anticrapple

Reaction score
Hey All!

This thread is meant to be for all the people who own a Hosehead and want to share tips and tricks about using the system. Also to share your build using Hosehead. I recently purchased mine and I am almost complete with setup. My first brew day is tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Please, anyone who owns Hosehead, let yourself be heard so that we can help each other out!

Anyone else looking to buy Hosehead please see the website, or view the other thread here that discusses the limitations and capabilities of Hosehead. I dont want this thread to get hijacked by others who done actually own the controller.

Happy Brewing!

I received my Hosehead on Friday! I still need to buy more fittings and such. With the holidays here I have been put on hold for the time being! :)

Well just completed my first brew on the system! Couple of hiccups and some weird stuff with the controller but it went pretty well!

I learned a lot about my settings and about how the controller works. First one is tough.

My first hiccup was leaving a bleed valve open. Dumped a lot of my treated water. So stupid.

Second, the controller can just shut off sometimes. It's just annoying when it does. I was using the web interface on the pi system when it did. When I use my iPad or computer it never crashes. So that might be the issue.

Lastly, I wanted the third temp probe (black) to be powering element 1 (in my HLT) to control temps in the HERMS coil. Every time I do I run into issues. So i had to learn to do it manually. Like to raise from 154 to mash out 168 I had to hear water in HLT to 185 and then turn element off and let them equalize.

Just like things like that. Brew an easy beer the first time! Lots to learn.

The elements do turn off when it crashes. Like I said, first brew on it so I think a lot of it was user error.

My temp probes are in HLT, t fitting output of mash tun, and in boil kettle.

Rayf.

Just an update on my system. I got it all running and now its great. I did my third brew yesterday without a hitch. no crash. no shut off. no issues.

i have found that if you try to run Elsinore through the web browser on the pi, it tends to use a lot of computing power thus heating the controllers and causing issues. Having a router and accessing through the IP address is vital in this set up.

RonR is another hosehead owner that might be able to second this notion.

ray, i have the greenlee punches if you want to buy them from me. send me a pm if you are interested. i just completed my build so i dont need them anymore. i bought them from someone on this site as well.

I had issues with the unit losing wireless network connection, I think I traced it back to the wireless mouse and keyboard I used with the unit, I did a wet run tonight and turned of the wireless mouse and keyboard and ran it remotely from my phone and had zero issues

I installed my boil kettle element and used my iPad to control and had zero problems as well! Everything is working great so far. Now it's time to get a pump and another kettle for HLT and I'll be a bit closer to first brew.

How about a few pics of everyone's builds.

Here's my set up

20160118_141909.jpg

20160118_142146.jpg

Can any of you fellas help me learn how to update my Hosehead to the new Strangebrew Elsinore? I am very very computer illiterate. I need step by step instructions. Someone to hold my hand, perhaps. :mug:

Awwww that's cute ;)

Here's a sneak preview of mine:

40 gal, all tri clamp, SS basket, 2 - 5500w elements

That's a monster kettle! What size breaker are you going to be using for two 5500w elements. Are you planning to have dual kettles(HLT & boil kettle)?

50 amp breaker/gfci. No 2nd vessel. I plan on sparging I have a tri clamp fitting on the inside and outside of my lid and I picked up a Stout sparge arm for cheap in the classifieds here. I will make up any efficiency loss (coming from a Brutus 10 type LP system) by adding to my grain bill.

I am moving to a 1 bbl EBIAB to save time and labor (have an electric overhead hoist to do all the heavy lifting). Making a one 31 gal batch = fills 2 sankes vs making 3 - 10 gal batches and filling 6 cornies. So I am unconcerned with any efficiency loss and am OK paying more for my grain bill.

I got inspired for this by a combination of increasing problems from a back injury and working for a day at a commercial 3 bbl brewery. I was like WTF? It takes the same amount of time to make 93 gallons of beer as it takes to make 10???? No idea why it never occurred to me before? Guess I'm a slow learner lol.

IMG_20160125_074202.jpg

My future son in law is in college for electrical engineering/computer programming. Once I have my Hosehead I'm going to have him look at Elsinore he may be able to help with some of the issues. He's kind if a freaky genius.

New Hosehead/Strangebrew owner here... Ran a few water tests recently and im having trouble setting up ''triggers'' Ill input something like set temp to 150 then wait 10 minutes then set temp to 155. Once i hit ''activate'' nothing happens. What am i doing wrong?

i have never used triggers before, so if you figure this out please let us all know!!! i would love to have it programmed like that.

i find that Elsinore gets buggy when i try to change too many things so i just leave it as is so that i dont have to worry about it crashing etc.

In the command line type this. It is linux so case sensitivity matters.
git clone https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server.git ~/SB_Elsinore_Server

go inside your hosehead folder via the file browser next to the start button. right click elsinore.cfg and click copy. go into the new SB_Elsinore_Server folder, right click and paste into it. Click yes to replace.

Switch directories

cd ~/SB_Elsinore_Server

type ./launch.sh

tada

doing it this way you still maintain the older version in the hosehead folder for whatever reason you may need it for.

Can any of you fellas help me learn how to update my Hosehead to the new Strangebrew Elsinore? I am very very computer illiterate. I need step by step instructions. Someone to hold my hand, perhaps. :mug:

Make sure you have not run strangebrew before doing this to make things go easier

git clone https://github.com/DougEdey/SB_Elsinore_Server.git ~/SB_Elsinore_Server

go inside your hosehead folder via the file browser next to the start button. right click elsinore.cfg and click copy. go into the new SB_Elsinore_Server folder, right click and paste into it. Click yes to replace.

Switch directories

cd ~/SB_Elsinore_Server

type ./launch.sh

tada

doing it this way you still maintain the older version in the hosehead folder for whatever reason you may need it for.
:mug:

Switch directories

cd ~/SB_Elsinore_Server

type ./launch.sh

tada

Thank You! I appreciate your help!

New Hosehead/Strangebrew owner here... Ran a few water tests recently and im having trouble setting up ''triggers'' Ill input something like set temp to 150 then wait 10 minutes then set temp to 155. Once i hit ''activate'' nothing happens. What am i doing wrong?

You need to set the PID to auto mode first.

Just got my hosehead 5bc and all the new brew gear put together. Hoping test it out this weekend. Is it possible to run 2 brews in 1 day, I'll be doing 15-20 gallon batches.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/137629642@N04/kc52b3

This is the email I recieved from him. Doesn't really explain what's new under the hood.
Thanks for your order.
The 3BC was recently replaced with the 5BC, it is 50A ready with 6awg power input. You will be getting the 5BC instead. You can run 2 elements at a time with it and your 60A breaker should be fine. I have not had the time to do the photography and update the website.

There is a new Ras Pi out not sure if it is due to that but here is the email I got:

Hi Christopher,
I have a bunch of the PI 3's arriving late next week. Will be launching the 50amp hosehead 5BC with the PI 3 as soon as I get them in stock and tested.

Cheers!
-Corey

If you look online you can see the new Ras Pi's features.

Dang it! I jumped the gun too soo!!! I would love to have one that could operate both elements at the same time!!!

Does anyone know how to ser it up to have Elsinore server start when you boot up the hosehead? Been playing around d with it and have not been able to figure it out. Also I broke one of my probes is there a way to replace them I do biab so I don't really need 3 but would like to know in case another one needs replaceing

Does anyone know how to ser it up to have Elsinore server start when you boot up the hosehead? Been playing around d with it and have not been able to figure it out. Also I broke one of my probes is there a way to replace them I do biab so I don't really need 3 but would like to know in case another one needs replaceing

I had the same question a few weeks ago. There's a Strangebrew thread on HBT with a ton of great info. Here's my question and resolution in that thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7406435&postcount=1461

I finally got the wiring done for the controller and tried to do a hot water test last night. I ran into a couple problems, 1st is I set the temp on auto to 155 and the element never started heating up.I shut the controller down and I put a volt meter on the outlet I ran off of the 50 am spa box and it's getting 220. I then fired up the controller again and now the heating element controls are not on the screen. The only info it's showing are the temp probes current temperatures. Anybody else have any similar issues?

Nevermind, got it figured out. Corey had me reinstall and it fixed the issues.

I just wanted to take a moment and let everyone know about my experience with Corey.

About 9 months ago I purchased a Hosehead controller with the intention of brewing with my "almost" finished setup......Fast forward to now when I'm actually ready. I started up my hosehead with the intentions of heating some water and running the pumps. I then went off the reservation and "tried" to reload and re set up the controller. I jacked it all up.

Long story short, I had an issue that had nothing to do with the controller.

The last couple of nights I have been on the phone with Corey trying to fix my self induced issues. He spent a lot of time fixing what I had screwed up. Always patient and supportive, he walked me through every step to get me up and running. I had a lot of issues on my end that made the fix more difficult but Corey got me through it.

I cannot give a review as of yet on how the hosehead performs but I can tell you that support with this product is top notch. I know the product has to be right for your needs but if there was ever a product to buy just based on customer support, this would be the one.

Just my .02

Back