Hornindal slow fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRedIROC

Reaction score
So I'm 6 days in and my Hornindal IPA is still fermenting. Normally for liquid yeast I wouldn't complain but I've heard this should work in two or three days. I've fermented warm and no off smell.

Anyone else had a slower fermentation?

OG 1.063
Day 1 ferment at 85F, 90F after that

If you’re going by airlock activity, that might be a false signal. Same thing happened to me last week when I was wondering WTF was going on as I saw bloops still happening on day four of a NEPA. Checked SG and it was at 1.008, so I kegged it. I suspect the continued bloops are either co2 escaping or hop creep due to the high temperature.

Check that SG!

If you’re going by airlock activity, that might be a false signal. Same thing happened to me last week when I was wondering WTF was going on as I saw bloops still happening on day four of a NEPA. Checked SG and it was at 1.008, so I kegged it. I suspect the continued bloops are either co2 escaping or hop creep due to the high temperature.

Check that SG!
Yep I'm just going by airlock. I'll go check. Thanks

Haven't used that yeast, but I would still give it 4-10 more days..... I never worry about my fermentations until day 14 which is the earliest I check. ONCE I had to swirl one, raise the temperature and wait another week.

Yeah same thing happened to me recently. Saw airlock activity and decided to check gravity. Was at roughly 1.005. This stuff is crazy. Does not taste as dry as it measures though.
Yep I'm just going by airlock. I'll go check. Thanks

I've used it 3 or 4 times now all fermented hot and I had kind of a similar experience. I expected fast and furious airlock activity for a couple days then for it to slow, but mine pretty much seemed to go slow and steady for 6-7 days before finally tapering off. I didn't pull a gravity sample until a week so I can't confirm for sure it didn't rip through in a couple days. A neighbor who used some I gave him noted the same thing though. I also didn't get crazy attenuation on mine, all in the high 70s to low 80s. I mashed them all around 154-155, maybe that's why.

I had a slow fermentation with Kviek after pitching at 30C. Was watching the gravity slowly go down on a tilt.

I put it down to low O2 levels in the wort as it wasn’t cooked below 30C. Then the deliberate under pitch meant there just weren’t enough cells to get through the sugars very fast.

So I checked day 6 and gravity was down to 1.012 (80 percent attenuation) but still some krausen. Day 7 the krausen was all down and still 1.012 FG. I kegged it yesterday so we'll see.

I guess a week fermentation isn't so strange from the sounds of it. Just expected 2 days based on all the stories. Thought a 1.060 beer with slight aeration and a full pitch would be quick...but maybe not. I'll try repitching and see if any different.

Back