Horizontal Bucket for Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrod

Reaction score
So I've put together a fridge with a temperature controller for fermenting, however the empty freezer compartment seams like a waste of space. I was thinking it would be good for lagering in. I'm pretty sure I can work out the temperature control issues, but my problem is an appropriately shaped container. A 5 gallon bucket will just fit on it's side, but I'm not sure I'd trust it not to leak that way, and an air lock would be an issue.

I'm planning on just wandering around lowes/home depot to see if I can find some thing that'll fit, but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

~Dave

Some people use those blue water containers (they are 7gallons I believe). That might fit. If you do some searching, there are a couple of threads discussing the pros/cons of them.

Check up on those collapsible 5G water totes. They are square to rectangular and are sealed with a screw lid. You would have to improvise an airlock but that should be your only problem.

See if a Vittles Vault will fit. They make great fermenters.

Either of these would be great ideas...the nice things about vittle vaults is that the lid locks, and they are stackable, and you can get them at petsmart.

THe aquatainers are another good way to go, I just saw a buddy of mine use it for no chill brewing and teach a friend day yesterday. They really do have a low profile. Just remember if you re-use them....flood them with oxyclean and hot water to make sure to get all the gunk out of all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the sugestions
The colapable containers would offer good fexability (pun intended) but as revvy points out, getting them clean would be a concern.
I like the idea of the vittals vaults, do you happen to know what size is needed for 5 gallons?

I like this idea. I don't have any suggestions for the container but I'm sure there are several options that would work well.

Back