Baltic Porter Horchata Porter Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtwillis

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
California Ale WPL001
Batch Size (Gallons)
6.0 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
Tasting Notes
n/a
So I made this recipe for a Horchata Porter and I was looking to tone back on the cinnamon and up the vanilla. It was better the longer I waited however the cinnamon was almost overpowering.

15lbs 8oz Pale 2 row
8oz Caramel/Crystal 120L
8oz Chocolate Malt
6 oz Aromatic Malt
6oz flaked barley
6oz roasted barley
1oz Chinook at 60
1oz Northern Brewer at 15
Yeast: California Ale WPL001

Added a teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon at flameout
I racked 2 whole vanilla beans seeded and split with 3 cinnamons stick into secondary fermentation for 4 weeks.

I would definitely like to tone back on the cinnamon and up the vanilla. Good beer, but just too much cinnamon almost tasted hot going down. Definitely mellowed out with time.

Any Suggestions?

Seems pretty simple. Use the first recipe as a base then use less cinnamon and more vanilla. How much would be subjective since everyone's tastes vary.

I'd say use 1 cinnamon stick & 3 vanilla beans to get what you're looking for. I'd also say leave it in secondary for 2 weeks & taste. I rarely leave beers in the secondary for longer than a week or two. I might brew this when the weather starts to turn, recipe looks good. Do you have a pic?

Back