Hops with a 2 minute Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnBrewsual

Reaction score
So I am making M-80 this weekend and some of the hops go in at the last 2 minutes. I always pull the hop bag out when it's time to start cooling down, but should these hops come out too? I was thinking I could put them in another sock and leave them in longer or let them float and try to catch them on the way to the fermenter.

What's the deal?

Thanks

I've never heard of anybody pulling out the hops when chilling, although I guess that's ok with bittering additions as the hops oils would be in the wort and not in the hop debris. But for any late additions, they should definitely stay in the entire time, through the chilling.

I just made the move to commando a few brews ago, and I am now a full fledged advocate of letting your hops free. I am seeing better hop flavor, its easier, and less to clean is a bonus.
Unless you are using a plate chiller or something that's my vote.

Agree with above, leave them in during chilling

Although chilling quickly has benefits to coagulate proteins and trub, realize, it does take time for hops to release their goodness to the wort, so give them that chance. 0-minute hops are a very relative concept:

On homebrew scale it may only take 5-10 minutes to chill 6-12 gallons down below 120-140F. Compare this to a commercial brewery where there's significant time involved to chill that huge volume of wort. During all that time those hops and oils are still in the wort doing their magic.

Don't forget hop stands and whirlpooling are all the fashion now!

Since extraction takes time, 0-minute hops never made much sense to me, so I've been doing hop stands since I started brewing, 8 years ago, I'm just more precise with it now.

For example, I used an (extended) 30' whirlpool from 180=>170°F on the final 1 oz Bramling Cross addition in my last ESB and it's definitely a winner.

:mug:

Back