Hops to pair with Cascade and Willamette for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
I have about an oz of cascade and 2 oz of willamette hops left over, plus a good bit of pale 2-row and am planning on making an IPA. I am going to have to buy some additional hops, so I was looking for advice on a good combo.

I was thinking maybe nugget...but I basically picked that at random...sooo...I am open to suggestion. I haven't finalized it, but the recipe will probably be something like:

12.5lbs pale 2-row
1lb Crystal 60

2oz Nugget - 60min
1oz Nugget - 20min
1oz Willamette - 15min
1oz Cascade - 5min
1oz Willamette - Dry Hop 5-7 days

This is for BIAB, using either Notty or S-05 (I have rinsed jars of both in the fridge). I'll probably mash around 154 for a slight extra body, and will use a whirlfloc tab at 10 mins.

Any thoughts?

Warrior! my friend made his with warrior, and like many men before me i was scared at first. but ti was an amazing hop. been wanting to use this but i have a pipeline of recipes at the moment. It is a great bittering hop tho.

Sorry to revive this thread but I recently dry hopped with 2 oz. Willamette and was a bit disappointed...it seemed to only add a very mellow hop flavor and little aroma. I also dry hopped for the first time in a hop bag with marbles. I had been using Willamette plus Cascade (all loose pellets) and liking the result (but hate the amount of beer I lose to the 'hop trub'. I changed to try to tone down the "grapefruit" a little but lost it all. Now I wonder if just Cascade (dialed back in quantity?) is the way to go. Thoughts?

Willamette and Cascade form an awesome flavor pairing. I recently did a test by making teas with a bunch of hops and mixing tons of combos and the mix with willamette and cascade was definitely the best tasting.

I tried nugget/cascade/wilamette and the nugget seemed to muddle the nice herbal/spicy flavor from the wil, so personally I wouldn't mix the all three.

Chinook or Warrior or Cent seem like nice additions for a third hop, especially if you bittered with it.

Cascade is a nice hop for dry hopping and definitely gives more flavor aromatic/fruity flavors than wilamette, which are usually the goal for dry hopping.

You should buy hops and make some teas and see what you think!

Back