Hops thoughts on hoppy red/amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemattb

Reaction score
I wanted to do a red ale with chinook to bitter, then cascade, centennial with 5-10 minutes left. Then wanted to add amarillo at flameout. What do y'all think about the amarillo? I love the hop, but do you think I got too many flavors mixing? I was thinking I could dry hop with an oz of chinook and cascade. Brewing in about an hour so any input is appreciated!

IMHO, it's a little overkill to use the amarillo but it does work fine as a lemony dry hop. Chinook is such a great hop, and you really could use it at every step in your beer. It's pure pine and grapefruit. Stone uses it exclusively in Arrogant Bastard. That being said, all of the "c" hops play nicely together. Centennial and cascade are a classic pale ale combination and I love using them in everything from American Pale Ales to IPA's.

Which reminds me, I have some APA to brew up for a local shriner convention in January. I better get cracking on the ingredients list.

That's what my gut was saying this am. I think I'll swap the amarillo for some chinook towards the end of boil. Thanks for your agreement!

Back