Hops suffering in Austin Tx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello from scorched central Texas. I planted some hops this year... wrong year for it as we've only had 10" of rain this year and it's been over 100 almost every day for the last month. I've got cascade, magnum and nugget planted. The cascade is doing the best, but it's still getting beat up by the sun. Funny thing is it's been flowering and making cones for the last couple months already. I guess that's probably part of the daylight problem? The magnum is looking the worst with all it's leaves almost white from chlorosis. Our super alkaline tap water hasn't helped as it's 9.5 - 10.0 pH. I've resorted to filling a 55 gallon barrel with water, dechlorinating/chloramining it and then adjusting the pH down to 6.0 before watering. I think that's helped a bit but... arggg... the sun and the heat... the heat and the sun... omg the sun. Here's a link to my imgur.com photo album if anyone's interested in taking a look at some suffering hops. One benefit they do have is they're growing up a bamboo tee-pee that's over a small 300 gallon pond that's constantly circulating. There's also a fence that protects the ground and bottom parts of the bines from the hottest part of the day. The tip of the tepee get's punished late into the evening.. and it's obvious. Well, take a look if ya like. Love to hear any comments or input. Thanks from the newbie.

http://stalkoffennel.imgur.com/hops

Ao2Wcl.jpg

I want to get into growing hops also, I live outside of Austin and this heat is brutal I know they like lots of sun but I may try and plant them with a little shade since this heat is so crazy.
Any advice for me?
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back