Hops Sprouting in Garage - But too cold to plant yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KobayashiMaru

Reaction score
So I left my 5 buckets in the garage over the winter with the intention of transplanting them to ground this spring. Just realized two have sprouted already, one a little over a foot and another almost 3 feet. I live in Massachusetts and it still gets below freezing at night, so is it still too early to put them in the ground?

And if so, what do you guys suggest I do? Stick a stake in them and let them start wrapping? Wasn't even sure if they'd come back to life since I stopped watering them after I harvested the cones (not sure if thats what you're supposed to do). As always any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I'd move the pots outside for now, transplant them third week of April or early May, cut the new growth off at ground level.

I'd move the pots outside for now, transplant them third week of April or early May, cut the new growth off at ground level.
Just curious, why not transplant right away if i'm moving them outside now? Also should I just let it grow and not cut the new growth off until its planted? Also I'm assuming I should begin watering them?

I'd probably move them into a cold frame outside for a week or two, just to help them acclimatise. Frost in itself is not a problem - indeed they positively benefit from cold temperatures - but if the young shoots haven't been exposed to it then a cold frame would help harden them off before planting.

Back