Hops rise to the top again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trizzant

Reaction score
I racked my IPA to a secondary 5 gl glass carboy after 2 weeks and dry hopped 1oz of cascade hops. The hops broke up and floated at the top for the first day and then settled to the bottom. After almost a week they are back at the top again. I didn't shake or move it and the temp was a constant 68. Why does this happen and is it normal?

Yeah, it's normal. You have a bunch of CO2 in the beer from the fermentation. The hops are great nucleation sites which cause the CO2 to be released. I've had them move up and down in the fermenter before. It's better when you have a bucket--cause you can't see it. Out of sight, out of mind.

When you rack to the bottling bucket, I suggest a nylon paint strainer bag ziptied to the bottom of either end of your racking cane to filter out the hops.

I do mine on the out end and leave some space between the bag and hose end so it doesn't get clogged easily. Just keep it submerged in the beer to avoid oxidation.

You can just stretch it over the bottling bucket too. You can get em at lowe's/home depot
elastic_strainer.jpg

Just cold crash it first before racking. It will all settle to the bottom

Back