Hops reccomendations for cream ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm5171988

Reaction score
I need some hops reccomendations for a cream ale recipe. Types of hops, amounts, and boil times would be appreciated. Also, on a side note, what are some tasety hops pairings (could be for any style of beer)?

Willamette, Fuggles, Goldings - if you want help with boil times etc. post your grain bill.

Hops in a Cream ale are generally very mild and only used to achieve balance with the malt. 15-20 IBU's is about right. You could use just about any hop for bittering at 60 minutes to hit the 15-20 ibu mark. The style focuses more on the malt and the adjuncts in the nose and palate, so if you do any other hopping you may want to keep it to a minimum, if at all. Then again, that's the great thing about this hobby. If you want a Cream Ale with a great hop nose, then you can add your favorite hop sometime in the last 15 minutes.

As for hop combinations, my favorites are a Simcoe/Amarillo dryhop and a Chinook/Cascade flavor addition.

grain bill:

- 1 lb flaked oats
- 1 lb flaked maize
- 7 lbs 2-row pale malt
- 1 lb vienna malt
- .5 lb carapils
- .5 lb light munich

total: 11 lbs

I've made a version of Jamil's Cream Ale from BCS and it uses Liberty hops...I really like it for this particular style.

Yeah so it all comes down to what you like and what you are going for. If you like the spiciness of noble hops, use halltertau or tetnang (or even Mt. Hood), if you like the citrus notes of American hops, go with Chinook, Cascade or Simcoe, if you like the delicate floral notes of English hops, go with Willamette, Goldings, or Fuggles. I personally think the English hops are best with this style (just IMO).

I was thinking about maybe trying Fuggles for bittering and Saaz for flavor. I havent used either of these hops though, so what do you think of the combination of these two hops?

I was thinking maybe 1 oz of fuggles and .5 oz of saaz...?

I want the end result to be a very mildly hopped, crisp and clean beer. I want to stay away from hops like cascade and mt hood; they are too "strong" in flavor for what im aiming for.

Do you use just willamette? how much and whats the flavor like?

I tend to do only 2 hop additions for my cream ales, I don't have my recipie in front of me (at work), but I do equal additions at First Wort Hop, and at 60mins. The IBUs going right into the center of the guidelines of the bjcp for cream ale.

The First wort hop gives a smooth bittering, with a little bit of flavor. For williamette I get a little herbalness, with some nice earthyness, kinda like fresh tilled earth (IMHO) its very nice to conteract the maltyness, but other than that, the style shouldn't have much in the way of hops.

If you want authentic use Cluster. It is what I use in my cream ale recipe and it works really well. It is a little spicy and earthy and just enough there to give it some awesome mild flavor. (I normally hate Cluster, LOL) I use a single 45 min additon...only because I boil my cream ale for only 45 minutes. I usually use 3/4-1oz for the 5.5 gal recipe depending up AA%. I try to target 15-18 IBUS. My recipe is similar to yours and turns out awesome every time. It takes about 2 1/2-3 hrs to brew, which is nice short all grain brew day. Off the top of my head it looks like this. 7lbs 2-row or 6 row, 1lbs Flaked Corn, 8 oz Carapils, 4oz Flaked Barley, 2-4 oz Acid Malt (for ph adjustment). Again boiled hard for 45 minutes.

I think that you can get away with any of the noble varieties or the more earthy american varieties like Williamette as well. You are definately on the right track and I am guessing that will turn out really nice for you.

I just did a cream ale with willamette for both hop additions. It turned out really tasty. Nice and Clean.

I used .5 oz galena (60 min= 16 IBU) and .5 oz Tettnanger (15min= 3-4 IBU). Remeber, this is a clean and crisp beer. Hop presence shouldn't be really that noticeable. Also make sure the yeast is clean and doesnt throw off any esters. I used a Koelsch yeast. No Crystal malt. Just Pale/ 2-Row (75%), Flaked Rice (20%), and a touch of wheat (5%). the best Lawnmower beer (even beer in general) I've made.

Back