Hops questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
So it looks like hops come in two forms, pellets and whole leaf. Is one better than the other and can one form be substituted for the other? From a recipe formulation perspective are they both weighed out the same?

Since pellet hops are ground up and processed leaf hops, the moisture content is the same. This means that the usage rate is the same as well, provided the alpha acid content is the same.

Hop pellets have much better storage potential, as in pellet form there is less surface are of the hop flower exposed to air during handling and packaging. Also consider that leaf hops take up more volume per equivalent unit weight because they are not processed into dense little pellets. Personally I much prefer pellet hops - they store better, take up less space and generally are much more readily available from home brew suppliers than the leaf equivalent.

Thanks.

Follow up question. I have someone close by who is growing hops and willing to just give me some. Do you have to dry them out before you use them? Also is there a way to identify what kind they are? It sounds like he doesn't know what he has.

Pellet hops have a higher utilization due to greater surface area. Most recipe programs (such as BeerSmith, Brewers Friend) calculate Leaf and Pellet differently. Usually need 10% more Leaf to achieve the same IBU as Pellet per weight. HopUnion States that it can be as much as 20% due to the shorter shelf life of Leaf.

You can make a few test recipes for free on Brewers Friend, just start a recipe and play with the numbers.

Thanks.

Follow up question. I have someone close by who is growing hops and willing to just give me some. Do you have to dry them out before you use them? Also is there a way to identify what kind they are? It sounds like he doesn't know what he has.

You can either use them immediately (fresh/wet hop), or dry them completely on window screens and then seal and freeze to store. If you use them wet, use 4-5 times the normal amount to make up for their moisture content. Either way, I strongly recommend using a known commercial hop to get most of your IBUs, and just use the homegrown for flavor/aroma.

In my experiences & opinion, pellet hops are better for bittering & decent for flavor. Since they've been ground & pelletized, the lupulin glands are crushed as well, making it easier to release the oils. But the whole leaf hops seem to have more depth of aroma & flavor, so I think they're better used for flavor or dry hopping. My 2c worth...:mug:

I use both. I use them interchangeably. I don't notice any real difference, however, I usually don't have the same variety in both pellet and leaf at the same time.

Leaf is more effort:
- They take up more room in the freezer
- They absorb more wort in the kettle
- They need to be bagged and weighed down when used for dry hopping
- They absorb more beer when used for dry hopping.

If you use the hops wet (fresh), use within a few days off harvest, and as noted by 'ong', use about 5X weight in the recipe, and use a known hop for the bittering charge.

If you can get about 1.5+ lbs of wet hops, use them all in a Pale Ale. Don't mix them with any other flavor hop. That way you will find out what they are like, and if worth using again ..... maybe even figure out what they are.

Back