Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer is no. The pellet hops will be stronger. There won't be a huge difference in small amounts but the bigger the quantity the bigger the difference. I'm sure someone here can explain the ratio in detail.

What's heavier; a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

Yes please explain to me how they're both not equal.

What's heavier; a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

Yes please explain to me how they're both not equal.

If 100% of the hop cone went into pellet from then it would be close.
Even so the milling process in hops increases the surface area and I swear it's different. (like chopping up other herbs to increase their potency)

This site expains the pelleting process better than I can:

Pellets come in two forms: T-45 and T-90 formats which are determined by the way they are processed. T-90 Pellets are milled into a powder and then squeezed through a die. They retain all of the vegetative matter that came in the hop cones and can be used as a full replacement for cone hops. T-45 pellets follow a similar process except that when they are milled it is with the addition of heat to make the lupulin less sticky. Once through the mill some of the vegetative matter is removed and the remaining material is then pressed through a die to make the familiar pellet shape. T-45 pellets can also be used a full replacement for hop cones. The difference between the two types of pellets is that with the T-45 version you get he same alpha acid numbers with less over all material in the kettle at the end of the day. Because hop pellets have small relative surface area in relation to leaf and plug hops, pellets have a lower oxygen exposure per surface area than the other forms, which means a drop in degradation over time. - See more at: http://www.kettletokeg.com/blog/201...llets-what-does-it-mean/#sthash.fRDOIhoe.dpuf

If 100% of the hop cone went into pellet from then it would be close.
Even so the milling process in hops increases the surface area and I swear it's different. (like chopping up other herbs to increase their potency)

This site expains the pelleting process better than I can:

Pellets come in two forms: T-45 and T-90 formats which are determined by the way they are processed. T-90 Pellets are milled into a powder and then squeezed through a die. They retain all of the vegetative matter that came in the hop cones and can be used as a full replacement for cone hops. T-45 pellets follow a similar process except that when they are milled it is with the addition of heat to make the lupulin less sticky. Once through the mill some of the vegetative matter is removed and the remaining material is then pressed through a die to make the familiar pellet shape. T-45 pellets can also be used a full replacement for hop cones. The difference between the two types of pellets is that with the T-45 version you get he same alpha acid numbers with less over all material in the kettle at the end of the day. Because hop pellets have small relative surface area in relation to leaf and plug hops, pellets have a lower oxygen exposure per surface area than the other forms, which means a drop in degradation over time. - See more at: http://www.kettletokeg.com/blog/201...llets-what-does-it-mean/#sthash.fRDOIhoe.dpuf

So in a nutshell; the T-90 pellets are 100% the equivalent to cones. The T-45 pellets remove some of the vegetative matter therefore getting more bang for the buck.

Conclusion: 1 pound of T-90 = 1 pound of leaf hops
1 pound of T-45 > 1 pound of leaf hops

My understanding has been that with pellet hops you get a better utilization because of the increased surface area that comes from the milling process.

My understanding has been that with pellet hops you get a better utilization because of the increased surface area that comes from the milling process.

Yup, that's what I was saying with my thinly veiled herb reference.

Latest posts

Back