Hops Package Not Vacuum Sealed from Midwest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoppaFarms

Reaction score
Hey folks. Just got a shipment from Midwest that had two 1oz packages of Liberty Hops in it. One is vacuum sealed, the other not. Should I contact Midwest about this? I'm trying to brew today and I'm worried and the quality of the non-vacuum sealed package. Here's a picture.

image-2934711087.jpg

I would contact them, regardless.

Chances are it is fine, but you wouldn't know until you open it.
If you want to brew today, you need to open it and smell it. If it smells cheesy or different from the other one, don't use it.

Also, just realized my yeast is from 22-Apr-13.....it's 50 days old and approximately 66% viability.

Definitely contact them about the hops. Chances are they are fine but DO smell and compare to the other package.

Regarding the yeast, are you sure that's not a manufacture/package date. I think I remember my nottingham having a manufacture date instead of expiration date, but I may be wrong on this.

Especially since you just received them, I would open the pack and if the look and smell normal (green and floral), then I would go ahead and use them. I've opened bags, used some and put the rest in the freezer for a while and they've lasted.

I wouldn't worry about the hops....I've never had a vacuum sealed package from Hop Union and, when I buy hops in bulk, I separate them by the ounce, put them in Ziplock snack bags, and store them in the freezer. I have some hops that are approaching 1 year and they are green and smell wonderful.

We are very sorry for the trouble. We understand that everyone wants the best ingredients, so they can brew the best beer possible. If you are so inclined you can give our service team a call (888-449-2739), and they'll be happy to get you out a new pack of hops. At that point you can also mention the yeast pack. I am not sure what kind of yeast you picked up, but Wyeast does state on their site that they Guarantee yeast packs for 6 months from the manufacture date (starters may be required at the 120 day mark). We will also stand behind that guarantee. If there is any issue with viability we are happy to help you out.

We are very sorry for the trouble, please bare with us we will be happy to help in any way we can.

Cheers,

The Crew @ Midwest.

Thanks for the response Midwest. I've contacted about the Hops, but the yeast I think will still be ok. The date is a MFR Package date I believe. The yeast may not be as high as viability as I would like (and I can't make a starter - don't have the equipment or time) but I'm sure it will still work.

Well, after searching for the smack pack inside the yeast for about 10 minutes I was worried that there wasn't one...and I was right. Somehow it was already burst but the package didn't swell. I pitched it anyway hoping that the yeast were still viable, hoping for the best. Midwest may not get my business next time, I'm sad to say.

Wow. No business is perfect I guess. One smackpack and it's all over ? I'm sure it's fine. Relax. If not , suck it up and hunt down some more yeast. It's not the end of the world man!

Back