Hops Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with oxidation, etc., from ordering hops online? I know most online shops do not keep hops refrigerated (or at least not continually until they are packaged for shipping). I'm not sure how long it takes a hop to break down from oxygen exposure, but I'm curious if I buy a bunch online and then freeze them at home for a month or more if they would still be viable.

Most of the hops I've bought in bulk on line from the reputable suppliers ship them in vacuum packed light proof packaging which preserves everything about the hops. Once reieved they are stored in original packaging in the freezer and used as needed.

Properly stored they generally last 6 months or so with no issues but most are used up before that:)

Most of the hops I've ever bought from a retailer have been vacuumed packed in mylar bags and frozen.

Keep in mind that the hops harvest is once per year- so any hops you buy in August or September were the same hops that you bought the year before in October or November. That means that they do age very well if you can keep them out of light and air. I freeze mine, buying them in bulk, and have used hops that were several years old without any problems.

Most of the hops I've ever bought from a retailer have been vacuumed packed in mylar bags and frozen.

Keep in mind that the hops harvest is once per year- so any hops you buy in August or September were the same hops that you bought the year before in October or November. That means that they do age very well if you can keep them out of light and air. I freeze mine, buying them in bulk, and have used hops that were several years old without any problems.

Wow, several years? Had no idea, I'll have to begin buying more:D

I bought 3 lbs of pellets early this year. They were vacuum sealed in 1 lb bags. I broke them down into my typical addition uses (1 & 2 oz packages), vacuum sealed them and placed them in the freezer. I pull out the packages as needed and they are just as fresh as the day I got them back in February.

Back