Hops in French Press for DryHopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed-Wort

The Tao of Yeast
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or advice for using a French press to dry hop? I want to keep the hops out of my keg as the seem to mess with the post seals. I have pellet and the make a mess. I was thinking of using the press at room temp for a couple of days then pour clear hop tea into keg.

I’m tapping a NEIPA today, I’m gonna French press a glass and see what that’s like. I’m assuming most of the co2 will be forced out of suspension but only one way to find out.

Only potential issue I can think about is the extraction efficiency of the oils. As we all know using hop-bags gives a lower utilization. A french press is a pretty small container comparing to the amount of hops planned to use. And if we look at it from the other side, recirculation/agitation of hops gives a higher extraction of the oils.

Good point Smellyglove. I was only planning on doing an ounce to give a little hop flavor and aroma to a Golden ale that I am about to keg, but I can imagine that there is a point where it would be very inefficient.

Only potential issue I can think about is the extraction efficiency of the oils. As we all know using hop-bags gives a lower utilization. A french press is a pretty small container comparing to the amount of hops planned to use. And if we look at it from the other side, recirculation/agitation of hops gives a higher extraction of the oils.
probably lower extraction due to no alcohol present which acts like a solvent to strip the oils/aromas out.Idk if plain water would extract well also..but i have no clue just guessing what the outcome might be

It works okay if you steep the hops in 160F water for 20 minutes.

I tried a French pressed glass of the NEIPA I just tapped. Let maybe 4 hop pellets sit in the press with the beer for an hour.......meh. Tastes a little sharp and green.

I went to a restaurant in LA a few years ago that did French press beer cocktails, i.e. pairing a tasty micro with extra herbs/fruit/etc and using the press to extract the flavor from the additives. It worked pretty well. Not sure how well it would apply to hops, though.

MattyHBT- I might try to add a little clean tasting spirits if my hop flavor or aroma is lacking, would be a good experiment.
Azura- sound advice that I will try if it seems that the hops don't present themselves in the cold water steep, also would be a good experiment.
I will try both these ideas and report back...
Thanks for the input all!

Latest posts

Back