Hops in Connecticut.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bion

Reaction score
Im really interested in growing my own hops. I like dark bitter beers and love the taste of hops. I was wondering what kind of hops would be the best in a New England climate... whats a proven technique for growing them... etc... I currently have access to a greenhouse with all the good stuff that entails but dont know if I always will. Ive looked up a bunch of info but was hoping people that have actually done it might have some pointers.

Im really interested in growing my own hops. I like dark bitter beers and love the taste of hops. I was wondering what kind of hops would be the best in a New England climate... whats a proven technique for growing them... etc... I currently have access to a greenhouse with all the good stuff that entails but dont know if I always will. Ive looked up a bunch of info but was hoping people that have actually done it might have some pointers.

Hops grow pretty well here. Just try the varieties you like and see how it goes.

I live in Wallingford, CT and my cascade and nugget plants have been doing very well for the past two years.

I'm in Coventry and my hops are doing very well. I'm growing cascade and centennial. Just place them in a dry sunny spot and they'll be fine.

Woodstock here, and our nugget does very well, as well as the Zeus. It seems like higher alpha hops are a little more robust than the lower, flavor/aroma hops

Back