Hops! Hops! Hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
I went to my best friend from highschool's house this morning to get some hops from her dad, who has 15-20 year old cascade vines. My mom, HWMBO, and I all went over there and filled 3 grocery sacks with cones. I filled a paper grocery bag with them and weighed it. Wet(not dehydrated), in the bag, they weighed 2lbs 15 oz. :cross:

Now to head home and get them dehydrating! Pics will follow tonight!:ban:

That's great. I tried to grow hops here in So Cal and it is just too hot. No matter how much I watered they just died. UGh. :(

Ok, I have 11ty photos. We only had HWMBO's iphone to take photos of the hops plants due to poor planning.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

And here they are at home drying on the dehydrator, and packed in the freezer. I'm going to make some calls and find out if I can find someone with one of those vacuum sealers.
DSCF6231.jpg

DSCF6233.jpg

DSCF6236.jpg

DSCF6237.jpg

They should theoretically be maxed out in their alpha acid level so I think I'm going to use them for a full batch of beer, figure I'll just aim for middle of the road bitterness and see how it goes! What's the AA range for Cascades usually?

That's quite a haul, and those cascades are all OVER the place! Fantastic!

I have a vacuum sealer, but sadly it's a few thousand miles away from your giant pile of hops.

That is simply awesome! I can't wait to hear how the beer from these turns out!
The IBUs might be in question but they should be great for aroma and flavor. Keep us posted!

any chance of all your "buddies " here can possibly score some 10-15 yr old Cascade root cuttings? I would think an established plant like that could benefit from a little thinning.

Back