Hops Health Benefits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was doing a little reading about hops and it sounds like they are quite the powerhouse of a plant. :ban: I've read that they often help fight digestive infections, help relieve insomnia, regulate women's cycles (as noted in ancient days), and may even fight cancer (as reported on Hops Direct). I read other benefits too, but you get the idea.

I realize that some of the benefits haven't been 100% proven, but here's my question:

Hops are clearly healthy, if nothing else in helping to regulate sleep cycles. When we brew with hops, do we retain these health benefits in our beer? Or do we not use enough hops to get the benefit? Or, do we destroy too much of the beneficial compounds when boiling them?

Anyone know?

This topic comes up from time to time. There were a few news stories and articles published about it. For one, it has antioxidant properties which are used to remove carcinogens from the blood stream. I know teas have antioxidants, and they are heated. However, if you want to be sure you're getting the most...just boil and dry hop :mug:

Hops have xanthohumol which has been reported to have antioxidant, and cancer chemopreventative properties. Unfortunately, it is isomerized in the boil and becomes less affective. Beers that are heavy in the late hop additions should still have a good amount of non-isoxanthohumol left in them. For a cancer chemopreventative to work you will need to be frequently taking it.

"For a cancer chemopreventative to work you will need to be frequently taking it"

...if you insist!

Sounds like using hops through the boil, as you normally would, plus dry hopping with some more gives you more than just a great brew (when it's called for in the brew)... :D

Sounds like additional justification for those that like to drink either more hoppy, or dry hopped brews, to have more of them... Hell, even normally hopped brews, with some late additions qualify. Not only are we getting our B Complex, but we're helping fight off cancer and other ailments. :rockin:

HomeBrew, it does your body goooooood!! :drunk:

Can almost hear the doctor now (in a few more years perhaps)... "Have [at least] two homebrew a day, and see me in a month..."

For sure, Golddiggie!

My girlfriend read on a Japanese news site that some Spanish researchers also discovered that some plant compounds in beer help the body to store calcium in bones, an especially useful feature for aging women. After reading how healthy beer is, and homemade beer being a much higher step up, she is more apt to tip some back when I do.

Anyway, I'm gonna give some hop tea laced with chamomile a spin before bed time (not with my precious brewing hops though).

Back