Hops from seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted-brew

Reaction score
I've planted 3 types of hops from seeds using topsoil in planters all kept indoors in a well naturally lite room about 3 months ago. I water them approximately three times a week and yet have to see anything sprout. Should I give up or be patient?

Hops seeds need at least 1 month of cold stratification to break dormancy and germinate. If you just put them in the ground, you will wait forever.

Take a look at this thread.

3 types of hops ?!? Did the seller told you that you would be able to get, for example, Cascade / Centennial / Zeus from seeds ? If it's the case, it will never happen. :(

Seeds? Wow, that's the worst way to grow hops. You might get male plants and as has been stated, they are just plain trickier to get going.

Rhizomes is where it's at, man. You could do cuttings too, from what I hear, but I've never tried it.

They were cheap from Ebay so I figured why not. I did rainier, cluster and eldorado.
If they don't cultivate in a month or so ill just scrap it and toss it out back. My luck is ill move and they will grow.

They were cheap from Ebay so I figured why not. I did rainier, cluster and eldorado.
If they don't cultivate in a month or so ill just scrap it and toss it out back. My luck is ill move and they will grow.

Yeah, that stealer has been there on eBay for too long. Even reporting the item did nothing. The seeds that you have are probably all from the same batch and not even from the advertise variety.

The truth is that you can only get a specific variety from rhizomes / cuttings (cloning).

Maybe the seller was at least honest enough to send you viable hops seeds. If your planters are small enough, put them in the fridge for 4 to 5 weeks and keep the soil moist. Then, put them back to room temperature, seedling should popup.

Ill leave them in the pots for now. They aren't in the way of anything. If nothing happens in a few months I will toss them. Looking back at my order it's been three months since they were planted in the middle of July. As stated they have been indoors at around 75* the duration.
FYI for future buyers they were from jdtbasketman

I got some cutesy beer growing kit for Xmas. It had barley, wheat, and hops seeds. The barely and wheat took off. I replanted outside and they flourished until my wife decided to go weeding. (I slapped my forehead when she announced that some of the weeds smelled like mint).
I got one hop seed out of 20 to sprout. Moved it to a planter by the pool. Next year I might get some hops but I'll have no idea what variety.

Meanwhile waiting for federal agents to come around for violating my family's 100 year old prohibition against growing wheat. (They always claimed that would happen, anyway.)

Back