hops from 2011 still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
I know this is off topic for a forum about growing, but.....

I got 2 lbs of Cascades from 2011 (vacuum sealed & kept in a freezer) and a lb from 2012. The generous brewer said to use 2-3 times what the recipe calls for bc they are a little "weak". Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

How does he know they are weak? Did he have some from the same lot or has this bag been opened before? I would think that if they were vacuum packed and kept in the freezer all this time and not freezer burnt, they are probably fine but I wouldn't triple them just because they are old. If it were me and they are weaker because of age, I night add 50% more and see how the batch turns out.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If they've been vacuum packed and kept in a freezer, I'd think that they're perfectly fine. I'd try the normal amount you would use in a recipe, and if the aroma or bittering seems lacking, bump it up the next time around. No sense in using more hops than you need and ending up with a hop bomb, unless you enjoy that sort of thing. :mug:

If always stored deep frozen in original sealed packages or used and sealed tight, without excess air, they should be fine. I add 10% extra per year of age. Works great. Quite a few of my hops are 2012, and some 2011. Never had an issue with them.

thanks for the replies. I'm going to make a Smash brew to check them out.

Tim

You could dissolve a few pellets in a bottle of light ale (Miller Lite is great for that, Coors Lite, or a Kolsch). Recap, invert a few times, let it be for a couple days, inverting a few times each day. Then taste. Filter out the hop pieces through a mesh filter when pouring.

If you want to test bittering potential, boil a few pellets in some wort for 15-30 minutes, let cool and taste. You'll get a pretty good idea.

Back