Hops for a Vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do my first All-Grain, which is going to be a vienna lager.

So far the recipie is looking like this

8 lbs vienna malt
1 lb munich malt
.5 lb meladonin

Yeast is WLP830

but Im not sure on the hops of hops schedule.

to be in style it should be 18-30 IBU.

Any Ideas?

I just made a vienna lager using Magnum for both bitter and aroma. About 1/2 oz at 60 and at 10. I only used the magnum twice because I had gotten some fresh hops to use for aroma and they turned out to be Magnum so I just went with the single hop idea.

Otherwise something like Saaz or Hallertau for aroma would be awesome.

Hallertauer/Hersbrucker would be a safe and traditional hops to use in a Vienna style Lager.

I use Saaz or Hallertau exclusively in most of my lagers. I like to keep my lagers in the mid to low range for ibus and rarely use aroma hops. Vienna should be very low to none for aroma.

My initial thought was to do a 1.5 ounce Hallertau addition at 60 minutes. I use hallertau a lot and was just wondering if there was something better for this style.

Its also a little light for the style, might add a few ounces of something darker to fix that, maybe some dark munich.

I use Saaz or Hallertau exclusively in most of my lagers. I like to keep my lagers in the mid to low range for ibus and rarely use aroma hops. Vienna should be very low to none for aroma.

What was the recipe for your revalation vienna?

I thought of posting it right away, but I'm not at my home computer. I'll post it later. I believe it was a mix of 1/3 each of munich, vienna, and pilsner with .10lb of carapils. It's lagering now, but I already know I'm dropping the pilsner next time and going either all Vienna or 90%/10% Vienna/Munich with no specialty grains either way.

For hops, I used 1.5oz Hallertau at 60 with a 90min boil. That I remember for sure.

If you are going to traditional, Saaz or Hallertau.

But honestly, I think this hobby is also about creating something new and interesting.

If you are going to traditional, Saaz or Hallertau.

But honestly, I think this hobby is also about creating something new and interesting.

I usually think that way, but with this being my first all grain I wanted to keep things somewhat "normal" so I could tell if what I was tasting normal or just my odd mix of hops.

Definitely nothing wrong with experimenting, I do my fair share also (not usually with lagers though), but if you set out to make a beer with a particular name, and you want to call it that, I believe there's little room for experimenting. I mean granted, we can call something anything we want, but you must agree that a name is just a name unless you are following a set of guidelines at least. I can't cut a steak in half, slap it on a bun and call it a hamburger any more than I can use cascade in a vienna and still call it a vienna.

Ive made a few ales by experimenting with different ingredients, with mix results, so good, some not. With this being my first AG I want something a little more time tested to take out any wierdness in the final product from odd hop combinations. I want a pretty simple and straightforward recipie.

Back