hops at flame out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesFCHB

Reaction score
When a recipe calls for an addition of hops at flame out, how long does one let the hops simmer in the wort? I've been letting them in through most of the cooling which I begin immediately after flame out. Perhaps they should be left in the hot wort for a specific amount of time before chilling although the recipes I've used didn't specify.
Thanks

If the recipe doesn't have specific instructions on waiting before chilling, then toss them in and start chilling the wort. Probably wouldn't hurt to wait 15 minutes before chilling either.

Lately I have been chilling to 160F for flame out additions and steep them for 10 minutes then continue chilling. My thinking is many oils vaporize at higher temperatures and with little IBU contributions coming from starting to chill after throwing them in why not preserve more oils? It kills me when I smell delicious aromas in my kitchen, I want them to stay in the beer!

I've been recircing through my CFC while the cold water is on with my input hose in the hop spider. It's been working well and generally takes 15 mins for the full amount of wort to drop to about 100. Then I move the output hose from the kettle to the fermenter and it takes a couple mins to fill it up. Seems to be working well as of late

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been doing extended hop stands between 170-190°F for 20-30 minutes mostly, sometimes longer. I just interrupt the chilling, but keep recirculating (pump and plate chiller).

Back