Hops and Use Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
I have been trying to formulate my own recipes and have been struggling to determine which hops really go with certain styles of beers. Are there any charts that show which hops tend to show up in each style of beer?

Thanks!

Just go to freshops.com,look for hop descriptions,& click on it. Wonderful chart with common name,AAU%,flavor description,& what brews it is typically used in. I refer to it all the time,since it's free! It's been a big help to me in deciding which hops to use in a given style,with a particular yeast.
I like to match the hops used to the flavors a given yeast produces for that style of beer. Hope this helps.

I just picked up Designing Great Beers and it discusses the different hops used in each style. You can get it for $15 at Amazon.
If you do a search on google for Hop Profiles you'll find info like this: http://www.brewerylane.com/hops_profiles.html

I agree re: Designing Great Beers.

Palmer's How to Brew will also give some info.

I find the internet sites to be less helpful and occasionally conflicting.

The 2008 BCJP Styles explanations can also be helpful.

I'll second the call for Designing Great Beers. The other way to go about it is to use the local hops for the beer style you are trying to brew. If its a German lager, stick with German hops (Tett, Hallertau, etc.), British beers with British hops (EKG, Fuggles, etc.), and so on and so forth. Of course, there's no one saying you can't use American hops in a German lager, or British hops in an APA, that's half the fun of brewing your own beer!

Ok, so I've been thinking about using Sorachi Ace hops for a while. I decided I wanted to put them into my wheat recipe.

Is it acceptable to not boil any hops at 60 min and boil them at 45 minutes instead for the IBU to fit the beer style guidelines?

Is it acceptable to not boil any hops at 60 min and boil them at 45 minutes instead for the IBU to fit the beer style guidelines?

Sure, or you could even just boil for 45 min. instead of a full 60. You'd have to adjust for boil-off I suppose, but that could be done. I probably also wouldn't do it if your recipe has pilsner malt since you want to get rid of that DMS, but I'm working on a Berliner Weisse recipe that I'm only gonna boil for 15min to keep some hop flavor but keep the IBUs really low.

Latest posts

Back