Hops and grains VS the can?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptart

Reaction score
So I just helped a buddy make a batch and I've always done the grains, hops, and malt. His first batch was he porter that came in a Cooper can. His process was 10x faster and slot easier! I would like to hear everybodys input on which method they prefer and why?

extract brewing is definitely a lot faster and easier, but I prefer the amount of freedom with all grain brewing.

Plus, I enjoy the process of brewing. My goal is not to crank out beer as quickly and easily as I can.

I prefer all grain. Feels like I'm making something myself rather than just adding water.

Not that I don't envy a two hour brew day over 6 hours.

I also like it because it seems cheaper in the long run.

You can make satisfactory beer from a can, if that's good for you.

I love food, so I always have my "spaghetti analogies".

In this case, say you want some spaghetti. You could buy a can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce, and have possibly decent spaghetti tonight, if you don't mind the Hunt's sauce. (Canned beer kits).

If you want to spend a bit more time, you could open up a jar of Ragu and add some homemade meatballs. (Fresh extract with steeping grains).

For a bit more work, you could buy some tomato sauce, fresh herbs and tomato paste and make your own sauce. (Partial mash brewing).

If you want to gourmet out, buy a bushel of tomatoes and fresh herbs and have at it! (All-grain brewing).

I've actually been happy at times with Ragu, but prefer making my own sauce from fresh tomatoes. The same is true with beer. You can make beer out of a canned prehopped LME no boil kit, and be perfectly content with "good enough" beer. Lots of people are, and that's fine. Or, you could go crazy and strive to make a "craft" beer. That's fine too. There is room for everybody in brewing!

My first beer was a hopped extract kit and it was terrible. That was four years ago and I still have some left. I only use it to cook with. Some of the problem might have been inexperience and fermentation temps but it was and is undrinkable. I've only done extract with steeping grains since then and those beers are far superior to my first all extract brew. If you can make a decent beer with hopped extract then go for it but, in my experience they don't make a good beer.

You can make satisfactory beer from a can, if that's good for you.

I love food, so I always have my "spaghetti analogies".

In this case, say you want some spaghetti. You could buy a can of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce, and have possibly decent spaghetti tonight, if you don't mind the Hunt's sauce. (Canned beer kits).

If you want to spend a bit more time, you could open up a jar of Ragu and add some homemade meatballs. (Fresh extract with steeping grains).

For a bit more work, you could buy some tomato sauce, fresh herbs and tomato paste and make your own sauce. (Partial mash brewing).

If you want to gourmet out, buy a bushel of tomatoes and fresh herbs and have at it! (All-grain brewing).

I've actually been happy at times with Ragu, but prefer making my own sauce from fresh tomatoes. The same is true with beer. You can make beer out of a canned prehopped LME no boil kit, and be perfectly content with "good enough" beer. Lots of people are, and that's fine. Or, you could go crazy and strive to make a "craft" beer. That's fine too. There is room for everybody in brewing!

Very well stated! :rockin:

The other big advantage to not using hopped extrract is that it allows you to choose what hops to use. With 2 young children I do not have the time to do all grain brewing but I can make unique beers with extract, steeping grains, and hops all of my choice instead of what some company decides.

Latest posts

Back