Hops and chickens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if hops are toxic to chickens like they are to dogs? I’m planning on growing some and just wanted to know if I’m going to have to keep them away from the plants. (aside from avoiding the general eating destruction.)

They are not toxic to chickens. I've been doing reading up on them as well since I'm going to be getting chickens soon.

According to the document written by Crannog Ales, chickens are beneficial to the hopyard. They serve 3 really good purposes: eat bugs and grasshoppers that can destroy a crop, scratch soil surfaces to help keep weeds down and promote aeration, and leave chicken sh*t which is high in nutrients!

I'll let you know after this season. I have 3 hop plants and 3 chickens.

I'll let you know how many of each I have at the end of the season and which is in best condition.

Just wondering if anyone knows if hops are toxic to chickens like they are to dogs? I’m planning on growing some and just wanted to know if I’m going to have to keep them away from the plants. (aside from avoiding the general eating destruction.)

Fence 'em off from the chickens until they are established. Dang things eat anything, and what they don't eat, they peck all to heck for fun. Once the plants are established the chickens will be good for them....they'll keep the insect population down to nothing. When the plants start to get bigger, the chickens will roost in 'em too, which means you'll have chicken **** covered hops.......unless you put sharp spikes, like rebar, sticking up from the top of your trellis and keep the rebar higher than the top of the hops. Otherwise, when the vines bunch up on top of the trellis and widen out.....that's where the chickens and other birds will all want to roost/hang out.

They are not toxic to dogs.

Nor chickens. Some 'organic' chicken farmers feed hops to their chickens for the antibacterial properties. Even though most of the hops in the USA are not 'organic', there is wording in the regs to make it OK to use them in 'organic' foods.

Back