Hops Along the Danube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
I just returned from a bicycling trip from Vienna through Bratislava to Budapest. At one point I looked down and thought to myself that the vines growing on the ground, on telephone poles and buildings kind of looked like hops.

I finally stopped and checked it out and sure enough, growing all over the place were hops. Growing like weeds. Does anyone have any idea what variety they might be?

B

I envy you,part of my family is from Bratislava,Slovenska. You should've stopped & picked some for at least a little smell. Saaz hops are common to Slovakia,& the Czech republic. Could've gone wild?...

I did stop and pulled one apart to give it a sniff. I can't tell a hop by smell, though. My nose it not yet trained in that art!

B

I love that part of the world. Uncle Sam gave me a train ride from central Germany, through Austria into central Hungary. Even though we were on our way to Bosnia the trip through those countries was beautiful. Couldn't imagine doing it on a bike, must have been amazing.

Pretty awesome to see wild hops like that.

Back