Hops/Alcohol Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
We brewed our first IPA last night (own recipe) and surprisingly the OG ended up 1.072. I ran the recipe through Brewers Friend and it was predicted to be 1.064 with 66-IBU. With the higher OG looks like the IBU should be around 62 now. Also we were hoping for a ABV around 6% now it likely could be close to 6.7%. Oops.

Not sure how we achieved such a high OG? I specifically entered our entire recipe into the calculator and followed it exactly. We even measured our final water out to the ounce. The only thing we tweaked (but you can't specify it on the calculator) was the timing of our extract addition. We added 1/3 pre-boil and the rest at flame out. Is there any chance that could have that much affect on the pre-pitch OG? BTW we have fairly hard water but for the add on water (3-gallons or so of the total 5.25) we ran it through the filter (did not boil it though).

The only other thing I'm a little worried about is the bitterness level. In hindsight I kind of wished we would have backed off on the bitterness hops a little (1oz Chinook and 1oz Zythos for 60-min). We tend to like our hops but I'm worried it might be a little too much. BTW during the boil we also did: 10-minute (1oz Amarillo/1oz Citra), flameout (1oz Amarillo/1oz Citra).

I know the dry hop step won't affect the bitterness but if we tweak the amount and timing of the dry hop step can we somehow "smooth out" the bitterness/higher alcohol level? We plan to dry hop with 1-oz of Citra and 1-oz of Cascade for 7-days right now.

BTW we are being VERY careful with our ferm temp. We used Wyeast West Coast IPA 1217 and pitched at 66 degrees. Our ferm room is no windows and a constant temp of 68-70. So just in case we put the primary in a room temp water bath. The temp on the ferm bucket has held steady at 66-67 since last night when we pitched at 11:00 PM. I checked it this morning at 7:00 and the airlock was bubbling at a rate of 1 per 8-seconds. Just checked it at 10:45 AM and now its 1 per 4-seconds. Seems to be doing great. Not overly aggressive fermentation but steady.

Thanks for any help.

If you followed the recipe, the only explanation is that you didn't stir well before taking your gravity reading and the true OG was the 1.064 predicted.

If your volumes were correct and you entered the right numbers into the software, stratification is the only answer other than not letting your sample cool. Extract gravity is pretty cut and dry.

I agree with the other posters. It is almost impossible to miss the OG with an extract recipe unless your volumes are waaaayyyyy off.

Okay I feel like an idiot but we figured out our problem with the OG. Turns out once we cooled our boiled wort and added it to the waiting 2.5 gallons of clean water and mixed it up, I didn't realize my son accidentally took the OG sample from that batch. But...unfortunately that portion only came up to 4.5 gallons. We later added .75 more gallons of water to get up to the target of 5.25 and mixed it up thoroughly before pitching the yeast but like I said I thought he took our sample from the 5.25 gallons rather than the 4.5 gallons.

As a result I ran the numbers back through Brewers Friend at 4.5 gallons and the OG came out at 1.072 which was right on the nose! 1.072 was EXACTLY what our sample was! Therefore I feel like I can fairly assume our full 5.25 gallon batch was right on track with an OG of 1.064.

Sorry to sound like such a moron. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input.

Back