Hoppy thing recipe help/critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
SWMBO came across this recipe for "hoppy Thing" from Tree House Brewing in Mass. treehousebrew.com
I had to convert from grain to a partial. Original ABV was 6.7%, I got to around 7% running various combination of DME & Lme through brewers friend calculator. Can't figure out the benefits of going all DME vs DME/LME?

Otherwise has anyone tried this recipe? What can I expect aside from alot of hoppyness?

Partial/Extract
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.014

IBUs: 75 (could not figure out because of extract, going by original recipe IBU)

ABV: 6.8 to 7%
COLOR: 7 SRM (“glowing orange”)

3.3 LME Pilsen (originally 11.75# 2 row)
5 DME Pilsen
1# 2 row
6 oz (170 g) Caramel 60 malt
4 oz (113 g) Honey malt

HOPS SCHEDULE
4 ml HopShot hops extract at 60 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at 20 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 20 minutes
1.5 oz (43 g) Simcoe at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 0 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Amarillo at dry hop (4–6 days)
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at dry hop (4–6 days)
1 oz (28 g) Simcoe at dry hop (4–6 days)

YEAST
Safale US-05

No real benefits of LME vs DME vs both. I much prefer LME because it's much less of a mess than DME, but it's expensive to ship and therefor a bit more expensive to buy (per gravity point). Both make excellent beer. If you're doing a full volume boil, go ahead and add all the extract at the beginning, being sure to get it all dissolved, lest it burn on the bottom of the pot. If you're doing a partial boil, save about half of the extract for around the 20 minute mark, or just before whenever you add your first flavor additions. It sounds like a really tasty beer- should be dry and super hoppy. Can't go wrong with simcoe, amarillo, and centennial.

Never tried it, but it looks like a good recipe. Brew it up and see what you get!

I am sure the hops will make it interesting and hoppy.
My concern is the extract. I have never used hop extract so I am not sure what to expect

I brewed this recipe recently. First time using hop extract but it came with a chart showing how many IBUs per ml.

I live near Treehouse and as others have said, this recipe is a nice IPA but not really a Treehouse clone.

To take it a step closer to Treehouse, I feel the bittering hops (or extract in this case) are way to much. Treehouse beers have pronounced hop flavor and aroma and the bitterness overwhelmed this too much. I'd cut the extract in half as a start.

There are other threads that go into detail on hop bursting and whirlpool hopping which are worth a read if you're not familiar with those techniques.

Good luck!

I brewed this recipe recently. First time using hop extract but it came with a chart showing how many IBUs per ml.

I live near Treehouse and as others have said, this recipe is a nice IPA but not really a Treehouse clone.

To take it a step closer to Treehouse, I feel the bittering hops (or extract in this case) are way to much. Treehouse beers have pronounced hop flavor and aroma and the bitterness overwhelmed this too much. I'd cut the extract in half as a start.

There are other threads that go into detail on hop bursting and whirlpool hopping which are worth a read if you're not familiar with those techniques.

Good luck!

I have started buying ingredient for this recipe.
Picked up 3ML of hop shot extract. According to the chart at the Intended SG I should have about 30 IBUs
Which won't be be super hoppy, but hoppy just right as not to drown out all the other additions

So I screwed up and bought 3 oz of Simcoe and only 2 Amarillo.
I guess I will add an extra 1/2 oz to the flame out addition & and extra 1/2 oz to dry hop!
Luckily I don't need the extra Amarillo until dry hop

Added Dry hopp of Amarillo/centennial/Simcoe.
Took a whiff, got some dark-danky smells.
I have always made beers using more citrusy hops.
This is going to be a learning experience

2 weeks in the bottle.
Beer is much darker than the "glowing orange" the recipe indicated.
There is a middle of the road hoppyness from the extract.
There is not nearly as much aroma or flavor as I would expect from the amount of hops used and the schedule.
I was expecting a something piney, instead I got some bitterness a honey scent and not much else.
I am hoping that it is because I am drinking the bottom of the carboy bottle, but I know that does not make a difference.
Does alcohol subdue hop flavor? Otherwise how does 3 oz of hops come out flavorless in a beer?

Not my best homebrew, but at nearly 8% (not intended) it packs a punch!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468789012.305789.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468789045.027228.jpg

Back