Hoppy Session Saison, like a Sierra Nevada Session IPA but with Belgian Funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I'm not ready for temp control and our 9 month Texas summer is about to start.
One of my favorite types of beers recently have been Session IPAs with a really strong aromatic floral hop character.
I've been drinking some Lakewood Till and Toil and really digging the Saison style too. Since Saison is well suited to warmer temps i got the idea of mashing them together.

How would you guys put something like this together? The way i see it is either starting with a Session Saison and upping the hops along with some dry hopping or starting with a session IPA and fermenting with a Saison yeast.

Have you guys had anything like this?

I can finally do all grain so I've suddenly got the urge to just start throwing stuff together because I don't need to stinkin' kits anymore.

One of my favorite beers to brew! i love me some hoppy saison. This has been a go to of mine for years.

Title: Tiki Turnt Hoppy Saison
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 6.44%
IBU (tinseth): 36.71
SRM (morey): 4.38
FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - German - Pilsner (44.1%)
5 lb - American - Wheat (36.8%)
1 lb - German - Vienna (7.4%)
0.8 lb - Flaked Rye (5.9%)
0.8 lb - Flaked Wheat (5.9%)
HOPS:
0.5 oz - taurus or any high AA hop, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 29.1
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.63
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.99
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
1.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F

Yeast: 3711, Belle for Dry, or if you like a bigger yeast profile 3724 but that may require temp control.

What are you doing with the hops at 0 minutes? Is this like "whirlpool" do you let them sit for some period of time? I use a hop spider during the boil. Would you not use these in the spider but just drop them in at flame out ?

Yea sorry about being unclear. You can drop those in at flame-out and let them sit for 10 mins or so while working on something else. I usually drop the temp to 140 then put them in and whirl pooled for 20 mins or so. Both works fine with slight variation in flavor.

If you are using a spider to keep hop debris out of a plate chiller as I do, then i would keep those hops in the spider and circulate with a pump or stir. If not using a plate chiller i don't see why a spider would be necessary. Just stir, wait, and transfer carefully.
:mug:

Its finally hot enough out in the garage to do this! Its so HOT i'll actually need temp control to keep it COOLER than 95 degrees!
We're going to make it this weekend.

It sure is hot. Even here in Tennessee it is just a sticky mess. Let me know how it comes out! I have not brewed this yet this year but I think it is time.

Mad Fermentationist Saison blend would be great for this type of recipe. I have made a hoppy saison with it using galaxy and nelson and it was delicious.

If you want something to brew thy ferments well at those temps try a Kveik strain. Only certain Saison strains ferment well that hot but almost all the Kveik strains work well at those temps. You could also try the K1v-116 wine strain. It’s supposed to be very clean up to really high temps and it will process the complex sugars in wort, the only wine strain that will. Or at least the only readily available one. It does some really cool things to hops and is POF-.

Back