Hoppy American Wheat - BJCP Style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to register my hoppy American wheat for a competition and just want to be sure that Category 23 is the best place to register.

I used one ounce of Magnum for bittering which gave me about 52 IBUs. I used a total of about four ounces (Citra & Amarillo) at flame out and then dry-hopped with an two ounces of Citra and one each of Amarillo and Simcoe. The beer leaves a really nice, lingering bitterness on the tongue from the Magnum and has good flavor and aroma but isn't overkill. I used some harvested Conan yeast which gives a nice fruitiness to the aroma.

So is Category 23 the best place for my beer?

I brew something very, very similar. Sounds like we both used the Mad Fermentationist's recipe as a starting point.

I'd say 23 is probably the best place. That's where I've submitted mine previously. Just put lots of thought in to how you describe it. Mine was "American wheat with lots and lots of Citra and Amarillo hops". The comments were basically saying they tasted "lots" but not "lots and lots".

Back