Hoppy American Wheat Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
My buddy is having a charity event at a bar and asked me to brew 10 gallons for it. He said he wanted something that would appeal to the masses with a “spring flavor”. I decided on a hoppy (but not bitter) American wheat. Below is the recipe I came up with.

Any comments or suggestions?

I initially went to my LHBS to buy WY 1272 for the "american" flavor but a bit more frutiness than 1056. Of course the LHBS didn't have 1272. I explained what I was brewing and that I wanted an american yeast with a bit of frutiness so they recommended Ringwood would be great since it's got an apricot flavor. I jogged to the LHBS and it was 5:50pm at night so I didn't have my phone to research and had to trust the guy since I'd never read anything about Ringwood. I went home and was horrified when I read all about the diacetyl created by Ringwood. I need this beer kegged in 2 1/2 weeks so I have no time to let the diacetyl dissipate. That being said, I stepped up my 6L starter last night and tasted the pour off which was actually really tasty. Definitely noticed a stone fruit flavor.

I went with the hops because I recently placed a huge order for lbs from Yakima Valley hops. I decided on the blend below based on what I had on hand. My total inventory includes: Summit, Willamette, Hallertau Mittlefruh, Equinox, Chinook, Columbus, Eureka, Calypso.

Is there any way to prevent diacetyl during the brewing process?

Stats

1.060OG
1.018FG
19IBU
2SRM
5.5%ABV

Batch & Boil

Batch Size
13.0 gal
Boil Time
60 min

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Use
12.0 lb 2-Row (US) Mash
10.0 lb Wheat (BE) Boil
7.0 lb Pilsner (BE) Mash

Hops

Amount Hop Time Use
0.5 oz Columbus (US) 60 min FWH
1.0 oz Eureka 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Chinook (US) 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Calypso (US) 5 min Boil
1.0 oz Eureka 0 min Whirlpool
1.0 oz Chinook (US) 0 min Whirlpool
1.0 oz Calypso (US) 0 min Whirlpool
2.0 oz Eureka 5 days Dry Hop
2.0 oz Chinook (US) 0 days Dry Hop
2.0 oz Calypso (US) 0 days Dry Hop

Yeasts

Name Lab/Product
Ringwood Ale Wyeast 1187

Recipe looks great! The Chinook, Calypso and Eureka should play off of each other nicely. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on your diacetyl question.

Recipe looks good to me. Eureka is a cool hop.

As for the Diacetyl, make sure you're slowly ramping the temperature up leading up to the end of fermentation and keep it there for a few days. It should clean up after itself.

Yeah, I read Eureka is similar to Simcoe with the pine but also a bit of citrus/grapefruit. That's exactly what I'm going for.

What should my temp schedule look like? I was thinking about starting at 68, holding there for 4 days (I read Ringwood is fast, which is why breweries love it. They can go grain to glass in one week) and that on the 5th day start ramping up 1 degree. What should I max out at? Should I start ramping sooner than the 4th day?

I don't have any experience with ringwood directly, but once you see active fermentation slowing down let it free rise. Don't be afraid to go into the low 70s if need be. The majority of ester production will happen during the start of the fermentation...by the end you're just looking to keep the yeast active to clean up after itself.

You can also do a force diacetyl test...simple way to see if you need to keep the yeast at a higher temperature before packaging pretty easily.

Take two samples out of the fermenter, cover them, and place one into a hot water bath at about 150*F for 10-20 minutes. Cool the sample back down, and compare the two. This raised temperature will force the Diacetyl precursor to form into Diacetyl quickly. If both samples smell buttery...you've got a long way to go. If the heated/cooled sample smells buttery, but the sample you haven't heated doesn't, keep your beer stay warm on the yeast for a few more days and test again. If neither sample smells buttery, you're good to go, and the yeast have cleaned up any perceptible diacetyl and/or precursors.

Back